Woodhouse west School

i was trying to remember Mrs Jarvis's name before she married , she married the teacher Jarvis from The City School . if im right he was a PE teacher but memory is preventing me lol

did Miss Daft ever get married then or is she still a MIss?

you should tell them to come on here and catch up with us all ! ;lol

oh i would like a copy of that book any ideas where i can get one please?

I went to Woodhouse West in the mid 60,s and can remember my Aunt teaching there , Miss Moody , Nora Richardson and Ben Thorpe, the one that liked putting you across his knee. Some fond memories off that school.

Hi maria K I remmeber those names you have mentioned, i went to Woodhouse west Jnr , i started there in Sept 1980, The teacher was called Mr thompson, a mad rugby fanatic, the other names i recall are Andrew Kinder , Paul Leighton,Paul Lambert,Debra Sharman,Andrew Crossland,Lisa Bumby, i recall all of the names you have mentioned, but the old grey matter is wearing thin nowadays, My name is Gary Dickinson, my younger brother Steven also went to woodhouse west he was 2 years younger than me, he would have been in the second year in 1980 . Anyone out there shed any more light on names and experiances at the school , Please reply. Gary

I remember you Gary !! there are loads of our crew on facebook .. if you are on i ll try adding you and have a peep through my facebook friends to find quite a few x

Hi, I went to Woodhouse West First and Middle school from 1979....... I remember from the first school the teachers Mrs Benson, Mrs Cahill and a dinner lady called Mrs Pet (viscious if I remember correctly). The middle school teachers I remember are Mr Deaks, Miss Daft, Mrs Jarvis, Mr Porteous and Mr Thackery!! does anyone else remember Mr Thackery?? what a guy, ex RAF I think..bit of a nutter!

Pupils I can remember? Steven Bates, Keir Godfrey, Simon Giles, Ian Woods, Mathew Green, Richard Ket (?some relation to the dinner lady above I think?), Nicola and Louise Maskery, Lisa Young, Sarah Wragg.....I could go on forever, delving deeeep into the old memory banks! Steven Booth, Jonathan Day, John Varney, Tony and Chris Pike I'll call it a day there I think....Craig Fuller, Nicholas Jackson, Andrew Thorpe, Laura Mosley, Nicola Stevens, Joanne Pacey.....

Edited by Steve Oates

I went to Woodhouse West in the mid 60,s and can remember my Aunt teaching there , Miss Moody , Nora Richardson and Ben Thorpe, the one that liked putting you across his knee. Some fond memories off that school.

I went there from 1950-55 and I remember Miss Moody very well

It was Isaac Thorpe, actually.

Peter, my husband asked if any one remembered Mr Vaughan (sp) who was headmaster whilst he was a pupil at WWE school?

Excellent headmaster. The very best.

Hi, I went to Woodhouse West First and Middle school from 1979., a dinner lady called Mrs Pet (viscious if I remember correctly).

Bruvva! Small forum! I remember Mrs Pet.... She was horrible!!

YOu know the Peter Kay sketch about the pink dinner ladies in tabards.... IT@S SPITTING!!! Always reminds me of the dinnerladies from Woodhouse. Ringing the bell.EVERYBODY IN!!!!

I went to Woodhouse West Primary school from the age of 5 up to the eleven plus.  I left in 1963/4 My two sisters also attended and then we migrated to Australia.  I remember it all very well and enjoyed my time there and I still connect with friends from Woodhouse (all living in different places).  Names such as Christopher Newbould, Jane Staniforth, Glen Gillett were in my class with Mr Thorpe.  The games we use to play in the school play ground at the front of the school i.e.  two balls, skipping, whip & top, marbles, slides on the ice in winter.  Miss Richardson and her strict but excellent teaching.  I can remember the aquarium picture across the wall in her classroom - we all had to paint a fish.  I was a dinner girl collecting numbers from the classrooms.  Somehow always added them up incorrectly and so I could have seconds or thirds of my favourite dinner,  meat pie,  Christopher's was cheese pie - fantastic.  I helped run the school sweet shop and was allowed to eat as many chocolates as I liked....of course I didn't.   I even remember when the first biro was introduced to us by the principal.   Ink wells, blotting paper and continual ink stains on clothes and fingers were the order of the day.   Ms Moody always dressed in black and had me bring in pounds of tomatoes grown in our greenhouses in allotments behind Sheffield Road.   I loved my childhood and school.  All seasons were different and left wonderful memories for me.  As I was tall I was always Angel Gabriel in the Nativity, Jane was Mary and Christopher a shepherd or wiseman...what wonderful times.