Woodhouse west School

A few of you seem to be from my era. The old timers. '51 -'54. Who could forget Mr Vaughan? Used to call the kids "his darlings." He taught the kids skills that went beyond the curriculum. Like holding special sessions for kids who didn't know how to clean their shoes or brush their teeth. Kids from some pretty tough homes went to that school back then. One young feller was dressed in what can only be described as rags. His home situation involved alcohol abuse and goodness knows what else. I once saw Mr Vaughan in his office pleading with him to try hard for his "11 plus" and grammar school. He looked at me and said "He has to get out of the mess he's in." I'll always remember the look on his face which showed just how much he cared. Are there any like that anymore? I haven't met any.

I started at Woodhouse West in 1939. Mr Morris was headmaster. Staff included Miss Woodward, Miss Moody, Miss Pattinson, Mr Bailey...and the unforgettable no-nonsense Norah Richardson, who steered us through the ll-plus exam. The caretaker, who lived opposite the school in Sheffield Road, was Benny Rands, a onetime well-known Sheffield runner in the pre-war days of Olympian Ernest Harper. Benny's son Bernard went on to Woodhouse Grammar School and is now a well-known musician and composer settled in America where he became professor of music at Harvard University.

i went to woodhouse west started in 1975

me too mary lol

ias in miss belamys class got pick somewhere, mrs adams. mrs allsop mrs gardener. oh and miss kidd she scared me so much. we must know each other and i must dig out photos lol:D

me too mary lol

ias in miss belamys class got pick somewhere, mrs adams. mrs allsop mrs gardener. oh and miss kidd she scared me so much. we must know each other and i must dig out photos lol:D

I started there in 75 as well

Ahhh so happy memories of Woodhouse West.

I was there from 53 to 59...my older sisters and brother all went there as well.

I remember Mr. Vaughan...best headmaster ever, Nora Richardson...as said nobody ever crossed her, Mr. Thorpe....remember his old leather briefcase, Miss Moody...did she ever have a different hairstyle, Mrs. Griffiths...she had room with fireplace, Miss Bingham, Mr. Wallace, Mr. Beeston, Miss Tongue

I also remeber when school was remodelled...we sat in class in our coats it was so cold.

Does anyone remember Jacqueline Hardy getting hit by the bus on Coisley Hill and losing part of her leg

I remember Mr. Beeston ( Cocky ) who didn't like using the cane and Miss Richardson ( Nora ) Mr. Wallace ( Edgar ) my favourite Mr Thorpe - I can't remember a nickname but when he taught my class there were 52 children in

it and - I may be wrong - but I think Mr Vaughan's nickname was Ragman.

I'm not sure about Jaqueline Hardy's accident - but it stirs a memory

i went to woodhouse west primary school in 1973 the headmistress as i remember was Mrs Kidd

i was there at that time yes youve joged my memorie it was mrs kiddxx

who was your first teacher Sharon maybe we know each other

you are the same age as me i guess we must know each other

i dont rememebr name of teachers youjogged my memorie on that one i just remember a mr porteous and a mr deeks he was lovley used to sing to you in class its alll a blur lol

my names sharon brown well was lol x do you remember me ???

Mrs Adams was my 2nd teacher and i was in the prefabs ( i remember her because she scared me ) .. i cant remember my 1st teacher but my Dad can i must ask him when i see him next ... i was Maria Williamson and i lived on the Severnside Estate

my first day at school i remember the prefabs lol i dont recognise the name im affriad names i remember was wayne rymel he lived on there and paula blackwood (lovley coloured girl bless her do you remember her we was inseperable ......wendy ray ??? erm oooo am thinkin darren currie ??? ....julie plant ... does any of them names ring a bell ??