Woodhouse west School

Anyone have any info/Photo's of my old school, Woodhouse west primary school in Woodhouse. My Brother, sister and I all went there and remember it well! I can still feel the warm shiny bricks of the boiler room!!!!

We all moved from Sheffield to Devon in 1995, but heard recently that it was demolshed!!!!!? I have trawled the net looking for photos and information but havn't found anything!!!!!

Thanks

Lee Wardle

Yes the old school was demolished starting june 1998 and now there are houses built on the site so the school building lasted just short of 100 years.

I have a copy of a publication put together by Neil porteous, called 'A HUNDRED NOT OUT' who was the headmaster at the time and it follows the progress of the school since being built starting in 1897 and taking the first pupils in on 11th june 1900.

it goes through the years one by one until the publication in 1999/2000. It gives a little info and staff changes.

Blimy, Mr porteous was the headmaster when I was there (1987). Was there a reason for the demolition/Closure?

yes it was no longer econimically viable to keep the building open cos it needed so many repairs needing doing. and after the school moved just down the road the building became surplus to requirements.

Originally posted by playman

Yes the old school was demolished starting june 1998 and now there are houses built on the site so the school building lasted just short of 100 years.

I have a copy of a publication put together by Neil porteous, called 'A HUNDRED NOT OUT' who was the headmaster at the time and it follows the progress of the school since being built starting in 1897 and taking the first pupils in on 11th june 1900.

it goes through the years one by one until the publication in 1999/2000. It gives a little info and staff changes.

Were you a pupil there? It seems so sad to me. You always imagine that somewhere like a shcool would just go on forever.

My older Brother and Sister both went there. We were talking when we met at christmas about the hot bricks around the boiler room. I can still remember the smell, I kind of sulphury/smokey smell.

Any idea where I can get a copy of ''A HUNDRED NOT OUT"?

i was not a pupil there but my wife was at the old building and our children went there to the new building, neil porteous started as head there jan 1980, the publication was to celebrate 100 years of woodhouse west and was printed to order so there will probably be no more copies available, also it was to raise funds for the school, i could photocopy mine if you wanted.

This was from the school year of 1979 " there were frequent problems with the coal-fired boiler in the old building which broke down completely in february 1980. Calor gas heaters were inadequate so the main building was evacuated and some classes transferred for a month to the modern building until the boiler was replaced ".

Originally posted by playman

i was not a pupil there but my wife was at the old building and our children went there to the new building, neil porteous started as head there jan 1980, the publication was to celebrate 100 years of woodhouse west and was printed to order so there will probably be no more copies available, also it was to raise funds for the school, i could photocopy mine if you wanted.

This was from the school year of 1979 " there were frequent problems with the coal-fired boiler in the old building which broke down completely in february 1980. Calor gas heaters were inadequate so the main building was evacuated and some classes transferred for a month to the modern building until the boiler was replaced ".

Thank you for the offer of the photocopy, however it's mainly photographs I'm after.

It's quite strange nowadays to imagine an entire school heated only by a coal boiler.

It is so sad to hear that the school was finally demolished, my husband Peter was a pupil there as was our daughter Marina and they were both taught by the indomitable Miss Richardson.

Apparently no one messed with Miss Richardson.

Miss Norah Richardson started at woodhouse west in Nov 1941 and in 1970 was deputy head until she retired after 38 years service in July 1978.

There are a few old pics of the old school but not many in the publication.

is that the school across from the west end club? nd near the angel pub?