Estate Agents office or internet

Question?

If you had a choice between going with a high street estate agent, paying around £250 up front for photographs, board etc' Then on completion paying them 1.5% commission. Or on the other hand going with an estate agent who sells on line with no high street office but still provide photograph,board and all internet property selling sites (right move, zoopla, prime location etc) and charges £495+vat up front then £495+vat = £990 on completion.

Who would you choose?

andy

Tell us whether you are:

a. an Estate Agent of any type; or

b. a wholly disinterested person merely asking for information so as to make an informed choice yourself.

Question?

If you had a choice between going with a high street estate agent, paying around £250 up front for photographs, board etc' Then on completion paying them 1.5% commission. Or on the other hand going with an estate agent who sells on line with no high street office but still provide photograph,board and all internet property selling sites (right move, zoopla, prime location etc) and charges £495+vat up front then £495+vat = £990 on completion.

Who would you choose?

andy

i used pinks for £699 inc V.A.T they do the brochures, sale board ad in there shop window along with all the websites such as rightmove and zoopla,

which looking at your options would be a better option than your two examples.

Assuming you are not an estate agent but are considering selling, I would recommend a good estate agent. Firstly because commissions (should) drive an agent to achieve the best possible price and secondly because a good agent should also pick up the telephone and chase potential purchasers (they may already know someone who might just be interested).

Hi bowood

We are selling our house through an well established high street estate agent. Its been on the market 3 months and they have managed to get us three viewing. They have reduced the price by £10,000 but it has made no difference. It has cost £250 for brochures, board and photographs. The commission will amount to £2075 if sold at this price. So really speaking commission doesn't drive them

Hi Dongle.

what was the price of your sale and the % you paid with Pinks?

andy

Acbeat- I went with Move n save due to not wanting to pay high commision fees but after six months and little more than half a dozen viewings and no offers I'm thinking of taking on a hish street agent and paying the commision to see if they can do any better, but your comment only confirms what I'm worrying about, which is that they won't work hard enough to sell my house despite the fees.

Do you mind me asking what area your house is in?

In this market, everyone wants a bargain. Buyers are few, and if your house isn`t bigger, better , cheaper, and someone elses is. Then the buyer would go for the other one. If the house is in brilliant condition, then its only down to price.

Serious buyers will trawl the main search engines like Rightmove and Globrix, and it wont matter to them, whether the house is being sold through an internet only agent or one of the bigger more established agents. In other words they are going to see everything on the search engines anyway.

Its the buyer that decides which house they are going to buy, and what price they are prepared to pay, not the agent.

The sale price was 185k and it was a fixed fee of £699 inc vat, it sold within 10 days and I got 40k more than blundells and haybrook said I would

Jomarch,

Our area is Walkley S6

dongle,

that sounds good we have until the end of july before our contract finishes with the current estate agent we will be changing then if it doesn't sell

In this market, everyone wants a bargain. Buyers are few, and if your house isn`t bigger, better , cheaper, and someone elses is. Then the buyer would go for the other one. If the house is in brilliant condition, then its only down to price.

Serious buyers will trawl the main search engines like Rightmove and Globrix, and it wont matter to them, whether the house is being sold through an internet only agent or one of the bigger more established agents. In other words they are going to see everything on the search engines anyway.

Its the buyer that decides which house they are going to buy, and what price they are prepared to pay, not the agent.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here Davi. As both a recent buyer and a seller I agree with what you have to say, in fact you have made me decide that changing will be a waste of money. What I need to do is make my house as good and as cheap as it can be because I can't make it bigger.

Meanwhile I have to be patient and wait for the right people to turn up- they will eventually!