Springer Spaniel - ear canal removal

Norton1

We have had our springer checked out at the vet today after consistent ear problems (only one ear) which is red infected and full of brown discharge. He has now recommended that they check under general anethestic that the ear drum has not burst and if it has they will remove the ear canal. This will leave our dog deaf in the ear and also put him under stress of an operation. For this pleasure it will be £8-900.

Have others been through a similar experience with a springer or long eared breed?

It was recommended on one of my first cocker spaniels after recurrent ear problems, tbh i changed vets, he changed medication and cleaned the ears out under anaesthetic.

In our case it did resolve the issues.

Agree with above - a second opinion might be helpful. If they agree then I suppose there is no option but to go ahead with the surgery. Otherwise it could result in you going backwards and forwards to the vets for recurrent ear infections and the dog suffering. Ear problems are uncomfortable and it might be better for the dog to have deafness in one ear. Constant ear infections may well lead to hearing loss anyway.

My rescue dog had terrible ears due to neglect and had to have both operated on. She still has a canal i.e. a hole but is deaf. However, I was told by the vet that her profound deafness was probably not due to the surgery but due to the original problem and subsequent neglect. He said that the dogs can have some residual hearing after surgery. Since we have had her the ears have been OK although I do keep a close eye on them and give daily care with cream.

Might be helpful to do an Internet search on ear canal ablation so that you understand it fully to help make a decision. Here is one link.

Please keep us informed of your decision - I am sure it will be helpful to others in your position.

Edited by ccit

Dont know if you have tried just using an ear cleaner to get all the gunk out then (get one recommended by the vet though a lot of the cheap ones at sale can actually damage the ear) then treat with whatever is recommended, we had several episodes and finally found the right treatment, it does depend on the bacteria/bug thats caused the infection and we have touch wood kept the ear clear for 2 years by weekly cleaning. If surgery can be avoided I would try to avoid at all costs.

Thank you all for your advice and comments. We have booked him to have the operation on Thursday as I hate to think he is suffering. Hopefully this will end the ongoing infections for him and make him a happy springer again.

I do hope that everything goes well - I am sure that your dog will be happier once the surgery is complete and the ear healed up. Don't forget to get him a buster collar and to keep it on, particularly if you are not nearby. Best not to trust him as it would be catastrophic if he scratched the area. Please let us know the outcome.

So Charlie had his op today. The good news is there was no middle ear damage or infection, so the ear was cleaned out and he has not needed to have the ear canal removed.

So we have a snoozy dog coming round from the anesthetic and hopefully with a good dose of antibiotics this will be the end of it!

Excellent news. I am sure that he will feel a whole lot better for getting rid of that gunk and subsequent inflammation. I suppose that you will need to keep a close watch on the ears for any signs of recurrence but hopefully everything will be fine. The anaesthetic will have worn off by now so he will feel much better - hope that he recovers quickly.