Told not to take photographs in Weston Park Museum

I was taking a picture of my kid near the 'bees' exhibit and popped up the flash because the window behind her was brightly lit (fill in flash, see, I know what I'm doing)

I hadn't read the policy, if I'm honest. I wouldn't dream of using flash to take pictures of delicate objects, but I didn't see any harm in using it by a window in full sun.

I was asked not to use the flash, but not to stop taking pictures. OP - were you using the flash?

I've been quite a few times and always taken pictures of my daughter, never really had a problem but unless someone else child is in the photograph legally they can't stop you

I was taking a picture of my kid near the 'bees' exhibit and popped up the flash because the window behind her was brightly lit (fill in flash, see, I know what I'm doing)

I hadn't read the policy, if I'm honest. I wouldn't dream of using flash to take pictures of delicate objects, but I didn't see any harm in using it by a window in full sun.

I was asked not to use the flash, but not to stop taking pictures. OP - were you using the flash?

Nope. I was just taking a picture of my kids dressed as Eskimo's. No flash, no art work, just a normal photo of my own kids

I thought that the no photography thing was the norm in museums?

....but unless someone else child is in the photograph legally they can't stop you

The museum has no extra right to stop you taking photos because another child is in the photo. They have the right to ask you not to take photos or restrict you for any reason they like.

The museum has no extra right to stop you taking photos because another child is in the photo. They have the right to ask you not to take photos or restrict you for any reason they like.

But it's a public place that the Council Tax payer funds.

ie - it's OURS!! So how can they restrict photograph taking in a building that the people of Sheffield own?

I thought that the no photography thing was the norm in museums?

It varies. Almost all prohibit flash (because it's bad for artwork, old books & documents, etc.). The more commercial ones prohibit photography in general; the public ones usually allow it. Some museums ban it around very famous exhibits because it's a nuisance to other visitors (you can imagine the crowds around the Mona Lisa, for instance).

But it's a public place that the Council Tax payer funds.

ie - it's OURS!! So how can they restrict photograph taking in a building that the people of Sheffield own?

They probably have to make some effort to prevent photography of copyrighted material.

It's just considerate not to take close-up pictures of other people without their permission.

we went about 34 weeks ago and had no trouble taking photos.we even took them of the kids stood with the exhibits.

they even put the fancy dress outfits on and we took there photos in them.was prob just a jobsworth on duty