Working mens club trips

I too fondly remember going on the Dial House WMC's annual day trip to the seaside in the mid 60's to the early 70's. It was mostly to Cleethorpes or Skeggy, but I have a vague recollection that they once took us to Blackpool for a change. There were several coaches for just the kids - and the couple of adult chaperones - and also one or two coaches for the accompanying mums. It was always the mums - and maybe the occasional grandma or auntie along for the ride. The dads never came - they were either working or enjoying a day at home without the missus and kids. I also remember being given free pop and crisps on the coach, a strip of free tickets for the fairground rides, eating fish and chips, candyfloss and those fried donuts from the seafront stalls. We kids always came home over-tired, over-excited and over-fed. No wonder there was always someone being sick on the coach home! 

Mid 60’s me and a mate used to find out when the trip tickets were being handed out. Then we’d stand outside the club and beg tickets from blokes who didn’t have kids.

We were lucky on Darnall as we get trips from the Auty (Horticultural), Darnall Green, the Libs and sometimes The Greenland Road.

Mostly going to Skeggy, Cleethorpes or Mablethorpe.

Always the same routine, a street full of charabancs, an old committee man in charge of the bus, bag of crisps, bottle of pop (crate of brown ale for the old guy), five bob, a sheet tickets for Wonderland and the obligatory lapel label.

Café and pee stop half way, fish and chips when we got there.

Carrier bag full of sawdust ready for puking in on the way home.

Happy days.

unless I missed it Im surprised no mention

of the LA PLATA wmc outings

Went a few times with the Pitsmoor club in mid 50's,  with my uncle Ernest Gregory. The best description I've ever heard was in a poem by Jasper Carrott, brilliant.

Edited by beezerboy
spelling (oops)

No,I remember queuing for fish and chips too. 

Our destination was always Cleethorpes,with the Wadsley Bridge club.