Working mens club trips

I lived across from Tinsley Working Mens Club, remember well the long rows of charabancs awaiting us over excited kids. And wow! bags of crisps and bottles of pop, never mind the little brown envelope with some silver money in it.

in the 60s when i was a kid i went with attercliffe radical club on the last coach we didnt get any money but we got crisp and pop lovely day out

we used to go with the railway club top of st anns rd obviously leaving from the old train station in rotherham

We went with The Windsor pub on the Wybourn,half a crown spending money and a sit down meal at the Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes,everyone hated going for the meal because it meant less time for fun.

I remember mass trips to the Pictures on Saturday mornings and best of all, the WMC trips to the seaside. Enough pop and crisps to make you sick for a week. Fish and chips in the street. Fantastic. The adults that were "in charge" often drunk before arriving and topping up all day. Kids now cannot understand how good it was, let loose in a strange place full of new things and money (10 bob) to spend. If you were lucky you got trips with numerous clubs to Skeggy, Mablethorpe, Cleethorpes, and very rarely Blackpool. With the old joke of looking sicker than a Skegness donkey on a Blackpool beach !!!.

Great memories.

aquduct wmc/ molders wmc/ non pots wmc, were the wmc we used to ask outside for spare tickets for trips to seaside Free dinner, money, pop and crisps were given out when you went on the trips sometimes it was the only holiday you got to the seaside

me and a friend called jack wright went to darnall horticultural club in darnall to try and get a ticket for their day trip we only had 1ticket and my mate said if we dont get another ticket we wont go we couldnt get 1 so we were making our way home down staniforth road when we crossed the road outside cravens there lying on the pavement was a ticket for the coach you have never seen 2pairs of legs run as quick

How many of the working mens clubs mentioned are still in existance ?

I remember club trips with fond memories we used to go on lots each year with different clubs in pitsmoor like the burngreave libs - loco - pitsmoor - gower st ten bob going crisp and pop on the way back great times.

Considering how many people went on these trips and how many places ran the trips I find it a bit odd how little evidence and reminiscences there are of them, not just on here but generally.

In the sixties I went on trips with The Arundel, Park & Arbourthorne, Manor St. Philip's, Upper and Lower Heeley clubs as well as  Mote Hall and Steel Inn pubs. The pub trips were generally

less well regarded by us punters because we got less money and the refreshments tended to be more frugal, but a trip to the seaside was a trip to the seaside. We went to Cleethorpes mainly but I remember individual trips to Scarborough, Skegness, Mablethorpe. and Hornsea.

Mablethorpe was unpopular because we soon ran out of things to do in the rain and Hornsea was just pointless, there was nothing to do and we were given yucky sandwiches for lunch.

I'd be interested in any resources, particularly photographs and reminiscences that I could be pointed to.

Sadly it isn't just the WMC trips that are fading into memory, the Clubs themselves are almost a distant piece of history. Yet Working Mens Clubs (how politically incorrect is that?) are a huge part of the fabric of Sheffield and South Yorkshire with thousands of stories about Club "turns", "stripper Sundays" and the inevitable Hammond Organ and a drummer.  I'm sure that someone somewhere has written a book?    My own fond memories are of trips from Upper Heeley, Midhill, Queens Road, Ecclesall Non Pol  (Non-political) and Smitheywood Clubs, always to an east coast resort, and in many years in the 40s and 50s it was our only taste of a summer holiday.  And out of all those trips I can't remember a single one where it rained !  But there was always a child who was sick on the bus and had to puke into a seaside bucket!  Happy Days !

53 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

Sadly it isn't just the WMC trips that are fading into memory, the Clubs themselves are almost a distant piece of history. Yet Working Mens Clubs (how politically incorrect is that?) are a huge part of the fabric of Sheffield and South Yorkshire with thousands of stories about Club "turns", "stripper Sundays" and the inevitable Hammond Organ and a drummer.  I'm sure that someone somewhere has written a book?    My own fond memories are of trips from Upper Heeley, Midhill, Queens Road, Ecclesall Non Pol  (Non-political) and Smitheywood Clubs, always to an east coast resort, and in many years in the 40s and 50s it was our only taste of a summer holiday.  And out of all those trips I can't remember a single one where it rained !  But there was always a child who was sick on the bus and had to puke into a seaside bucket!  Happy Days !

I think there is a "Dirty Stop Outs Guide to Sheffield  Working Men's Clubs". I haven't seen it so can't comment but I've been told about it since my previous post.