Working mens club trips

AS i child i used to go on the annual trip to the seaside on coaches organised by walkley working mens club, i remember there being loads of us ( several coaches full ) no parents only a few chaparones and everybody getting spending money , bottles of pop ( strawberry cresta being my favourite ) , crisps , food etc all provided by the club free ( from our parents subs etc ) i remember having a great time on these trips only can,t remember where we went probably somewhere close on the east coast , skeggy cleethorpes etc ,I do remember however when one the coaches crashed on the way back home from a said trip and getting back to the club and all the parents waiting outside the club to see which kid was on which coach and who was injured ( no mobiles in those days ! ) in the end i think there were only minor injuries from broken glass etc . Did anybody else go one these or any other club trips ? and what are your memories of them ?

That little brown envelope with a ten bob note in it, felt like a bloody fortune!!

Tag on your coat in case you got lost, I went with my brother and friends with Bellhouse Road WMC and it was usually Cleethorpes where we ended up, a great day out was had by all.

Tag on your coat in case you got lost, I went with my brother and friends with Bellhouse Road WMC and it was usually Cleethorpes where we ended up, a great day out was had by all.

Me too. Then when we got back, one of the commitee chaps would get kids up on the stage to sing a song or tell a joke for a shilling. Afterwards we would all file out through the side door and get a carrier bag with some fruit and a bag of crisps.:)

I can recall going with (I think!) The Darnall libs to Cleethorpes, I spent all my cash on a Sheffield made Bowie knife with a stacked leather handle (Joseph Rodgers!!) and as soon as I got home, my dad took it off me :rant:(He hated knives, airguns etc)..

Biggsy :)

I used to go on the trips with Wadsley Bridge Working Mens club - you got a box of goodies usually potted meat sandwiches and a biscuit but the money was very welcome.

I think I remember having to queue at a cafe for a sit down dinner of fish and chips, or was this a dream?

Southey Green's annual trip was to Cleethorpes. I remember the coaches lined all the way up Southey Green Road. After arriving in Cleethorpes, we were forced to line up at a restaurant just off the promenade. There we were served an awful meal of fish and chips, then we were given, I think 2/6 in cash, and a bunch of tickets for the various funfair rides. A brown luggage type of label was attached to our clothing indicating our names, and who we were with, and we were let loose on Cleethorpes for a few hours. In all the years I went, I can't remember anyone getting lost, or even being late for the homeward journey.

I think I remember having to queue at a cafe for a sit down dinner of fish and chips, or was this a dream?

We went with Tinsley Club mostly to Cleethorpes. Half a crown, bottle of pop and a bag of crisps and some tickets for free rides in Wonderland, then fish and chips it was the only trip to the sea side we got we were so excited about going I dont think we slept for days before the trip. I cant ever remember anybody causing trouble or getting lost we just had a lovely day.

we used to go on the dial house trip every year to skegness...Great memories.i remember one time the adults coach had to pull up at a beauty spot so several inhebriated women couls have a pee!!!what a sight for sore eyes....lol

Southey Green's annual trip was to Cleethorpes. I remember the coaches lined all the way up Southey Green Road. After arriving in Cleethorpes, we were forced to line up at a restaurant just off the promenade. There we were served an awful meal of fish and chips, then we were given, I think 2/6 in cash, and a bunch of tickets for the various funfair rides. A brown luggage type of label was attached to our clothing indicating our names, and who we were with, and we were let loose on Cleethorpes for a few hours. In all the years I went, I can't remember anyone getting lost, or even being late for the homeward journey.

I wasn't dreaming then, the fish dinner was real ha ha.

In the60s the Gun and Baggin in Dalton used to take dozens of buses on the day trip to Cleethorpes.

On one trip, about 5 o clock and after a good days' drinking, a couple of the local likely lads were walking along the beach towards the buses when they came across one of their pals,a little worse for wear. They asked which bus he was on and after getting no sense out of him decided to take him onto their own bus to make sure he got home

He slept in a drunken state and woke up as the coach was coming down Whinney Hill in Thryberg "Where am I " he asked . When they told him how they had helped him he said " That's OK but I was in Cleethorpes with the wife and kids for the week".:confused::confused: