Weed we used to use for pea shooters

My Storm and Strife was complaining about a weed that was spreading throughout her flowerbeds .When I saw it ,it loked like what we used to call "Mother Die" hollow stem and used for pea shooters.

It has several common names 'Snow on the Mountain,Bishops weed ,Gout.

Doe's anyone remember useing this as a pea shooter?

My Storm and Strife was complaining about a weed that was spreading throughout her flowerbeds .When I saw it ,it loked like what we used to call "Mother Die" hollow stem and used for pea shooters.

If it's the plant I'm thinking of it had tiny greenish white flowers in a horizontal plane and its lower branches usually had what we called 'cuckoo spit' at the point where they branched off the main stem.

Never used it as a pea shooter though because your mother was supposed to die if you picked it. :hihi:

You are both correct some of us ujsed the hollow stork to make peashooters, other would not pick it - or your mother would die. I lived in Swallownest as a child, and we also called it mother die. For pea shooter amminution I remember we used to pick bunches of little hard berries - I cannot remember what the name of the actual bush is, but we called the berriews "haighs or hagues". These berries were green, then turned to red and then a dark marroon as the weeks rolled by. Spent many hours shooting with these in the 1940's and early 1950's.

Yes - we also called the white bobs "cuckoo spit" - no idea if is was or wasn't from cuckoos

We have different plants and weeds here in Malaysia where it is hot summer 365 days - no seasons - just hot sun and lush green even in places in Kuala Lumpur City Centre

Regards to Sheffield - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, State of Selangor, Malaysia

From the R.H.S. website re "Cuckoo Spit"

Cuckoo spit is a white frothy liquid secreted by the immature nymphs of a sap-feeding insect known as a froghopper.

Cuckoo spit begins to appear in late spring at a time when the familiar call of cuckoos can be heard, but otherwise has no connection with the bird.

We call it Queen Anne's Lace or I believe it also is called Bishop's Lace. It's a wild carrot species.

I think mother-die is a local name and probably served the purpose of dissuading children from picking it due to the leaves looking very similar to hemlock, which is a deadly poison?

Edited by rubydazzler
typo

Cow parsley! Yup I used to use it as a pea shooter! Trouble was I lived in a tiny village out in the country that also had plenty of giant hogweed around and if you got the two mixed up (easy to do when your six!) you ended up with burnt lips from the sap :o

You are both correct some of us ujsed the hollow stork to make peashooters, other would not pick it - or your mother would die. I lived in Swallownest as a child, and we also called it mother die. For pea shooter amminution I remember we used to pick bunches of little hard berries - I cannot remember what the name of the actual bush is, but we called the berriews "haighs or hagues". These berries were green, then turned to red and then a dark marroon as the weeks rolled by. Spent many hours shooting with these in the 1940's and early 1950's.

Yes - we also called the white bobs "cuckoo spit" - no idea if is was or wasn't from cuckoos

We have different plants and weeds here in Malaysia where it is hot summer 365 days - no seasons - just hot sun and lush green even in places in Kuala Lumpur City Centre

Regards to Sheffield - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, State of Selangor, Malaysia

It could have been elderberries you used as ammunition,like we did.

Used them all the time ,but you used to have to be sellective, using elder berries, the green ones before they were ripe, as ammunition.

There are two plants which look very similar - one is Hemlock very poisonous and the other 'cow parsley' google alexander herb plant - it has a stalk like celery and it could be used for pea shooting. The leaves of the alexander are quite substantial whereas the Hemlock leaves are feathery. Not a good idea to mix them up as Hemlock is quick acting - it paralyzes every organ.