New Sheffield Bus Network- good or bad for the public?

Are the Revised Bus Sheffield Bus Services better or worse  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Revised Bus Sheffield Bus Services better or worse

• The revised Bus Services are better
    • The revised Bus Services are worse

There seem to be fewer buses which is surely a bad thing?

Has the new Bus Partnership made anything better?

This morning I was waiting for the Stocksbridge-Sheffield bus at 8.30 at Wadsley Church, having just used the Sheffield -Stocksbridge bus to take my daughter to school, and was driven past by the bus which was full to bursting, demonstrating that far from there being a lack of demand for the service there is actually more demand than is being catered for.

As I am disabled and cannot walk more than around 50 yards at a time it has taken me until now to get home the 4 stops and email you to raise this issue.

However, what is arguably more important is that the young man waiting at the stop with me then went home to get in his car and drive to work. If the aim of public transport is to persuade more people to commute to work on buses trams and trains and not by car cutting congestion and pollution in the process, then reducing the only service that covers areas along the Stocksbridge, Deepcar Wharncliffe Side Oughtibridge Wadsley line will only have the opposite effect.

As a result I am wondering what everyone else thinks? Has the Bus Partnership improved services according to the survey that was carried out in June-July 69% of people thought services would get worse so have they yes or No

In the case of the Stocksbridge route, First dropped it and Stagecoach now operate the service. Many people from Stocksbridge use bus SL1 to connect with Supertram leaving the 57 bus to cater for the few areas not served by SL1. As Stagecoach is a new operator for the 57 it may take a few weeks for them to measure usage and demand and adjust vehicle allocation accordingly. Its probably also worth noting that since the change of operator the ticket price has fallen and more modern buses are being used which may be attracting more passengers too.

Guest busdriver1
In the case of the Stocksbridge route, First dropped it and Stagecoach now operate the service. Many people from Stocksbridge use bus SL1 to connect with Supertram leaving the 57 bus to cater for the few areas not served by SL1. As Stagecoach is a new operator for the 57 it may take a few weeks for them to measure usage and demand and adjust vehicle allocation accordingly. Its probably also worth noting that since the change of operator the ticket price has fallen and more modern buses are being used which may be attracting more passengers too.

To be fair stagecoach have been running the Sunday and evening service for some time and have reralised that there are some journeys off peak that need double deck buses then ....................

Absolutely superb, a lot better...

i think it's better too, especially sumday services which seem to exist now

be careful what you wish for, give stagecoach a monopoly and then you will find out what they are REALLY like. Ask people who live in areas where they are the sole operator and not having to compete. They make First look very proffesional.

yep, it's better to have more than one operator. finally first have lowered some prices, that wouldn't of happened if they were the only ones in sheffield. you only have to look at barnsley to see how the prices would be if it was just stagecoach, it happens anywhere. all bus companies will charge as much as they can get away with, they are all the same.

The Changes are not Good for Sheffield,as Stagecoach use to charge just £11 a Week for a Pass an now because of the Merger with First they are £17,alot routes have been changed an timetables changed,so people now have to keep asking the Drivers which way they are going,its Trust with the Timetables we want in South Yorkshire as alot Bus Drivers Still drive as they are not bothered about getting people on time,as they know theres nobody checking up on them,Why couldn"t we just get rid of First an let Stagecoach run the Bus Service

i meant to quote this on my post above. i think you have got your wires crossed, we still have the £11 saver and £13 savers. if you want a pass that you can use on the other operators then you have to pay £17. it wouldn't be good having one operartor either, the prices would go up more if it was just stagecoach, having more than one gives some competition

Same old rubbish. The routes/timetable were supposedly revised to improve timetable reliability. If anything, things are much worse now. They still haven't realised the best way to improve reliability is to bring back the conductors and stop the uncertain factor/length of time the driver has to fart around issuing tickets and change etc.

Same old rubbish. The routes/timetable were supposedly revised to improve timetable reliability. If anything, things are much worse now. They still haven't realised the best way to improve reliability is to bring back the conductors and stop the uncertain factor/length of time the driver has to fart around issuing tickets and change etc.

they still have to fight traffic etc. i'd love a conductor on my bus and yes it would help a little however i doubt it would clear up late running. the expense of paying for 2 wages a bus also doesn't help. would you be happy if the companies said yes we'll bring conductors back however we will need to raise ticket prices to fund it? sorry but conductors aren't the answer in my eyes

Conductors aren't the answer.

Abolishing taking money on buses might help. The technology exists to do it, but can you imagine the protests on here when someone wasn't allowed on a bus because their prepaid swipe card was refused? And the bolshie Sheffielders who would refuse to use a swipe card system!

Sunday service is a lot better, especially the stagecoach buses for example the 79 now runs on Sundays as a stagecoach instead of stupid to travel. So in my opinion it is a lot better, also the SL3 is said to be very beneficial by a lot of people :D:thumbsup: