C.1943 Isolation Hospital

During the war my mother, my 1 yr old brother and I were evacuated to Sheffield. I was about 3 yrs old.

I remember that I was taken into Hospital. My mother was not allowed in to visit me. Parents used to be outside a large 'window wall'.

When I was discharged I was not allowed to bring out toys my mother had made for me.

I so regret that I didnt ask my mother WHY and for

WHAT reason was I in hospital. Obviously it was an isolation hospital.

I am hoping that someone on the forum might be able to tell which hospital i was in. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

That visit should (if they weren't lost in fire or wartime bombing) still be noted in your medical records; your doctor's surgery might be able to help you find out what it was about.

It will almost certainly have been Lodge Moor, which was built well outside the urban limits precisely so that it could serve as an isolation hospital; of course, nowadays the housing estates run all the way up to it. (In fact I haven't been out that way for years; are the hospital buildings still there?)

That visit should (if they weren't lost in fire or wartime bombing) still be noted in your medical records; your doctor's surgery might be able to help you find out what it was about.

It will almost certainly have been Lodge Moor, which was built well outside the urban limits precisely so that it could serve as an isolation hospital; of course, nowadays the housing estates run all the way up to it. (In fact I haven't been out that way for years; are the hospital buildings still there?)

Some are and they have been turned into luxury flats I believe.

WELL... I hadnt thought of Tuberculosis....... or scarlet fever.... I had wondered if it might have been smallpox.

BUT whatever it was thought to be I didnt have any kind of treatment after i was discharged from hospital... I dont remember leaving the hospital and going back to the accomodation we had been given...... (I remember the house we were in ... through the front door and our room was on the right just inside the front door)

( isnt it strange all the things that we remember from 3 and 4 years of age, and so long ago)? ...

so it must have been 'a mistake' that I was sent into hospital.

I wrote to sheffield library about 3 years ago to ask for any information on hospitals at that time ...

but they had no information to give me.

Is there anywhere that would still have records?

Edited by jeancunniffe