City dumps and tips

I think Blackstock was closed yesterday because of the planned strikes.

It should be open today.

Wayhay!!

Massive queue at Blackstock but only 30mins from joining it to driving out!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Biggsy :)

Yes, but the problem is with the council privatising the waste service with a 35-year contract to Veolia. There's meant to be a demo in town at about 12.30 today about it and it's on the council agenda too.

A 35 year contract is stupid. We are now stuck with this sub-contracted dump site set up for years to come.

A 35 year contract is stupid. We are now stuck with this sub-contracted dump site set up for years to come.

But sova the sub contractor have it for 5 years and it's them who have cutt the opening times and hours , it's like we said before why pay two contractors ? Get rid of one and save money and keep the sites open 7 days a week and put the opening times back to all day ! .

Well if the council have paid them less to open fewer hours then what money is there to be refunded. Just go when they are open. What is the average visits per year for your average council tax payer 5? 6? Just get on with it.

Well if the council have paid them less to open fewer hours then what money is there to be refunded. Just go when they are open. What is the average visits per year for your average council tax payer 5? 6? Just get on with it.

Yes but that's just it we carnt go before work and after now because the tips are shut and don't open before 10 and shut at 4 wen we are working and wen we do it takes a hour to get In ! I use my local onev at least twice a week because I recycle ! .

Looks like the strikes maybe going to last indefinitely! If they don't come to an agreement by tomorrow.

Depends how much waste you need to dispose of. ;)

But sova the sub contractor have it for 5 years and it's them who have cutt the opening times and hours , it's like we said before why pay two contractors ? Get rid of one and save money and keep the sites open 7 days a week and put the opening times back to all day ! .

Well, that would be the common sense way to resolve this problem , but i doubt Sheffield council will want to rock the boat with their contractors. There will be too many people making a nice little earner from the dump it site contract( if you know what i mean ) for any of them to agree to giving up their share of the pie.

Yes but that's just it we carnt go before work and after now because the tips are shut and don't open before 10 and shut at 4 wen we are working and wen we do it takes a hour to get In ! I use my local onev at least twice a week because I recycle ! .

Yeah! Even if they can only staff it for 6 hours, couldn't they make plans to open earlier, or close later?

With no green bins now, and black bin emptying planned to be every two weeks, it's going to get worse. I don't mind going to the tip because I'm not too far away, but it would be good to know regular, reliable times when I can get in there.

If my blue bin and box get full, I usually take surplus to the supermarket skips. I keep my black bin waste to a minimum, but for others, there's nowhere else other than the tip to take any excess.

And what are we supposed to do with garden waste during the summer months? I usually pick up my mum's green bags too, ie full carload.

My car's going to be well smelly!

I'm not sure of who runs the city dumps/tips.

From this thread I gather that Sheffield City Council have sub-contracted something to Veolia for 35 years. Questions ....

1. What's been sub-contracted to Veolia? The bin collections? Running the tips?

2. What have Veolia then sub-contracted to 'sova', apparently for the past 5 years? Who are sova?

3. What do Veolia do? What do 'sova' do?

Please could someone explain it all to me.

Veolia av the contract from the council and veolia sub it to sova veolia and sova make **** loads of money from the sites is just us the public what suffer the lads are striking not far more money just to keep the sites open 7 days a week as they shud be we pay our taxes far this fair play to the lads

hope u do win this fight so we can all go to the tip wen we want