City dumps and tips

the reason behind the multitude of bins and boxes we now have to store for Veolia is so we are unpaid waste sorters, we sort the waste for them so they don't have to employ someone to do it or pay for a building to carry out that work in and they reap even larger profits! it's nothing to do with being "Green", it's all to do with "Greed"!!

Correct. The council want householders to do their dirty work whilst they sit back and make the profit.

there is always at least one dump open

Don't they ask for your postcode and turn you away if you're not using the one nearest you?

Ohhhh the pain of it all. I want so much to put this tin in that bin but I have to put it in this one instead aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! my life is over.

Went to Blackstock rd tip today and it was closed, only open mon, fri, sat. So had to drive all the way to Beighton, don`t the council realise that they are just inviting fly-tipping on a large scale !

Went to Blackstock rd tip today and it was closed, only open mon, fri, sat. So had to drive all the way to Beighton, don`t the council realise that they are just inviting fly-tipping on a large scale !

Write to your Councillors.

Tell them it will cost them their seats.

I have popped into the Deepcar dump this morning as the Foreman there is a good mate of mine .He was telling me they are on strike again as follows

Friday 8th june Open

Saturday9th closed -on strike

Sunday 1oth closed-on strike

Monday 11th closed -on strike

Tuesday 12th Open

Wednesday13th closed -day off

Thursday 14th closed- on strike

Friday 15th closed -on strike

As i say , this applys to Deepcar Dump , he said the other dumps are all running different strike days next week.

Outside of strike action, here are the new opening schedules:

Beighton Road HWRC

Beighton Road, Woodhouse,

S13 7PS

Operating times: Wednesday to Monday

Closed: Tuesday

Blackstock Road HWRC

Blackstock Road, Gleadless,

S14 1FY

Operating times: Friday to Monday

Closed: Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday

Deepcar HWRC

Manchester Road, Deepcar,

S36 2BT

Operating times: Thursday to Tuesday

Closed: Wednesday

Greaves Lane HWRC

Greaves Lane, High Green,

S35 4GR

Operating times: Friday to Wednesday

Closed: Thursday

Longley Avenue West HWRC

Longley Avenue West, Shirecliffe, S5 8WA

Operating times: 7 days a week

Closed: None

OPENING HOURS 10:00 to 18:00

(1st October – 31st March … 10:00 to 16:00)

The men at the recycling centres are not just striking for their jobs and working condition but also for the tax payers of Sheffield. Every tax payer pays for these recycling centres to be open fully manned 7 days a week at reasonable hours. I know a few people who used to drop their recycled things off before going to work, now because they don't open until 10am that can't be done anymore. I as a tax payer say good on em. I will support them fully and hope other tax payers feel the same. I bet you won't get a tax refund for the sites not opening every day.

Better ask the councillors though, the staff at Shirecliffe couldn't count to 7.[Eye totely agree with you, me and you muss be relationed.]

I just don't understand why the Blackstock Road site is closed 3 days a week and the others only one day a week? This site is nearly always busy when I go there, stupid decisions like this (which appears to be have snuck in without any real announcements) will increase the already disgusting amount of fly tipping.

Not to mention the increased carbon emissions pollution from everyone having to drive their cars further. Instead of a 5 minute journey if I now want to get to a tip it's at least 15 minute car ride. I am just going to break up my recycling in the future and stick it in the black bin, why should I bother making the effort if the council won't?

Surely we should be taking these sites back from the sub-contractred-subcontractors and having it as a local governement run basis. I am sick to the back teeth of these stupid, stupid cuts. Just increase the bloody council tax a bit, £10 extra would cover it I reckon, I would rather pay £10 more a month than suffer even more rubbish dumped all over our homes.

Edited by gribz

It's to keep the rubbish out. They don't let any old riff raff in.

Who's Jack Scott? I heard him on Radio Sheffield the other day, he wants to close the dump-it sites and make some of the staff redundant and is blaming it all on the conservatives; I thought it was greed initiated by the contractors who run the sites, Veolia and Sova with some misguided information from the Sheffield City Council. Is Jack Scott even from Sheffield? Jack wont remember what an eye-sore Sheffield used to look like. Well, here come the fly tippers again!