City dumps and tips

Can any one tell me why the tip and dumps are closed over the week ends as this is when we do most of are work that needs to go to the tip. did they think about whats going to happen when scruffy people start to fly tip and what it will cost us to clean it up?.

Other threads have alerted readers to the current issue and damo's link above gives you the current status.

Your Council pay Veolia to manage the Recycling Centres. Veolia sub-contract to SOVA.

The Council pays Veolia about £950,000 and reasonable estimates suggest they make another £750,000 from the sale of recycleables.

Veolia are doing very nicely out of this deal.

Because of "the cuts", the Council have blindly decided to reduce the number of days that the Centres will open every week ....... and reduce the sum paid to Veolia.

The SOVA operatives face redundancies and pay cuts, the City face inconvenience and increased fly-tipping.

Veolia continue to take a profit.

SOVA argue that the Centres can still be run 7 days-per-week if Veolia would cut their take.

Their disatisfaction has led them to strike over the last couple of weekends.

The Council have kept two sites open every day with brought-in staff and security.

Regardless of the strike, Centres will now start on reduced openings.

Personally, I think we need these Centres open daily.

I think we will face increased fly-tipping clean-up costs.

I think we are being ripped off by Veolia.

I think incompetence/corruption lands us in these messes with greedy corporations.

But .... we get the Council/Government that people voted for!

Edited by cgksheff
some tips closing more than others

the reason behind the multitude of bins and boxes we now have to store for Veolia is so we are unpaid waste sorters, we sort the waste for them so they don't have to employ someone to do it or pay for a building to carry out that work in and they reap even larger profits! it's nothing to do with being "Green", it's all to do with "Greed"!!

there is always at least one dump open

The Shirecliffe one is open 7 days. The others seem to have various days http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/recycling-sites/Household-Waste-Recycling-Centres/

Quite why would be a question for your councillor.

Better ask the councillors though, the staff at Shirecliffe couldn't count to 7.

the reason behind the multitude of bins and boxes we now have to store for Veolia is so we are unpaid waste sorters, we sort the waste for them so they don't have to employ someone to do it or pay for a building to carry out that work in and they reap even larger profits! it's nothing to do with being "Green", it's all to do with "Greed"!!

Think you will find that waste is sorted by the user, into containers,

in the vast majority of towns and cities throughout the Uk and most European countries.

So not just Veolia and Sheffield.

Can any one tell me why the tip and dumps are closed over the week ends as this is when we do most of are work that needs to go to the tip. did they think about whats going to happen when scruffy people start to fly tip and what it will cost us to clean it up?.

The council never use common sense. they would rather save a few quid by making a few dump workers redundant and closing the tips a day a week , then they will spend hundreds of thousands clearing up all the fly tipping the tip closures will cause, meaning they will be thousands out of pocket in the long run.

Tip up at Stocksbridge also closed due to industrial action.

I know there are problems with money and pensions but we are all in the same boat when it comes to money, I wish i still had a job.

As for asking council they are as much use as a chocolate suit on a fireman. if they lissoned then we wounldn't be in the mess we are in.