Veg planter-what to put in it?

Hi, today i completed building my own planter from some old wood which i have treated to protect it etc.

just wondering what would grow well in it? Especially as i feel ive left it a bit late to start things? Im quite new to gardening by myself (i.e. my own garden!).

Would like to try courgettes and maybe some runner beans...am i too late to start these?

Advice greatly appreciated! :-) thank you.

Not too late at all. Runner Beans, climbing french beans, courgetes all good. Try beetroot, various lettuce and spring onions round the edges. All plants grow given a little encouragement.

Thanks Joat. :-)

Im hoping to get it all planted up today but so many seeds say plant up to May and i know were only a few days into June but didnt want to have left it too late to get anything to harvest! I guess it also depends on weather conditions too,but will make sure i feed stuff too.

I have some slug pellets as do get a lot round my flowers and strawbs but guess i need to check if its safe on veg plants?

Im excited about growing things this year,its so nice to have a garden.

I personally wouldn't use slug pellets around anything edible. Coffee grounds are a safer alternative - many coffee shops give them away if you don't drink enough :)

I personally don't think you can beat tomatoes and they work really well in containers :)

Thanks for that advice, i didnt know slugs dont like coffee grounds! I know they dont like citrus peelings so thats safe too. :-)

I wanted to post a pic of the planter i built vut wasnt sure how. nevermind.

What have you treated it with? is it safe? You don't want it leaching into the plants / food.

You need good quality compost. Runner beans will be fine and are late starters, Courgettes spread a bit at take lots of space. Do you get lots of sun? Out door tomato varieties would be a good option.

It was treated with fence&shed paint which i read on it & asked a gardener friend that it would be ok. it is also lined with some plastic sheeting which should be safe too. :-)

I bought Westland compost high quality stuff & mixed in some vermiculite & other peat compost as friend recommended & i looked it up on various sites.

My garden does get good morning sunshine...but not much this past few days as i dont think anyone has anyway!! :-( where is summer?! Haha.

Thanks for your advice and questions.