Whats wrong with this MoBo..

Bought a Mobo off here yesterday, and asked if it worked ok or if there were any problems with it, and was told it worked fine.

Got it home, put it in a nice clean empty case, connected all perpiherals up, and powered it up.

Everything seemed ok, little green light on Mobo was on, heat sink and chassis fan running ok, BUT NO POST SCREEN ON BOOT UP, NOTHING ON SCREEN, NO BOOT UP.

My first thought was either Graphics card or monitor was iffy.

I changed the monitor and connected my monitor, changed over the graphics card from out of my working machine so I knew they were both ok to see if that was the problem

Re-connected vga cable, re-booted, still NO POST SCREEN, NO BOOT, nothing on screen.

Disconnected all drives one by one to see if it was any of them causing the problem, still had the same outcome, removed the RAM and the Mobo beeped away at me, till I reseated it.

I cannot for the life of me, figure it out, so now I am coming to the conclusion I have bought an iffy Mobo.

Anyone any ideas as to what i can try?

All I get on screen is "No Signal".

If I have bought a dodgy mobo, I am gonna be so p i ssed off as I was told it was working.

:rant:

Check for any leaking or bulging capacitors.

Try resetting the CMOS.

Check it isn't your RAM causing the problem. Also check that the RAM you're using is known to work with this motherboard.

Which motherboard is it?

Possible that the BIOS is set for onboard Graphics. If so remove your graphics card and connect to the onboard graphics, goto BIOS and change the graphics option.

Possible that the BIOS is set for onboard Graphics. If so remove your graphics card and connect to the onboard graphics, goto BIOS and change the graphics option.

That cant be it as there is no onboard graphics on this mobo. :)

If it beeps when the mem is taken out, its pointing towards your mem being incompatable/faulty. What model mobo are you using and what spec mem?

Check for any leaking or bulging capacitors.

Try resetting the CMOS.

Check it isn't your RAM causing the problem. Also check that the RAM you're using is known to work with this motherboard.

Which motherboard is it?

Tried re-setting Cmos, still no change

Cant see any leaking or bulging capacitors, its a nice clean mobo.

its a P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Mobo.

If it beeps when the mem is taken out, its pointing towards your mem being incompatable/faulty. What model mobo are you using and what spec mem?

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Mobo with 2x 256Mb of PC2 400 Sticks, I know the board supports DDR2 800/667/533

Are the 2 sticks of Ram already in (PC2 400's) NOT the same as DDR2 800?

Is this what the problem is...?:huh:

Check the RAM isn't the issue - and double check it with the supported RAM list on the manufacturer site, make sure your particular RAM modules are meant to work with that motherboard.

Edit: Just noticed your last post, is your RAM DDR2-400 (PC2-3200)?

If so, that is probably too slow for that board.

I would personally just buy a new set of DDR2 800Mhz RAM from http://www.crucial.com/uk

Edited by Jcoventry

Check the RAM isn't the issue - and double check it with the supported RAM list on the manufacturer site, make sure your particular RAM modules are meant to work with that motherboard.

Edit: Just noticed your last post, is your RAM DDR2-400 (PC2-3200)?

If so, that is probably too slow for that board.

I would personally just buy a new set of DDR2 800Mhz RAM from http://www.crucial.com/uk

PC2 -400, Thats what it says on them I have 2x 256 of theses in, are they not the same as DDR2?

Yes those are DDR2 but substantially too slow for your motherboard. Try a pair of 800MHz modules in there.

Take it out of the case and try it, it could be shorting out.

this is incorrect as most mobo's may produce 12 beeps or continuous beeping if there is no memory inserted into the board depending on the bios.