Williamson Hardware in Broomhill threatened

You've forgotten to count in the charity shops...

It is a shame to lose variety.

The current site of Williamson Hardware in Broomhill is not their original site. They moved into that site and replaced a supermarket ( Woods/ Moores/ Forrests sic). At that time there was also a Kwiksave.

At that time I and many Crookes residents shopped in Broomhill as there was only a small Coop in Crookes.

Does the fact that Crookes now has two supermarkets and better parking mean more footfall for the other shops in Crookes and less for Broomhill?

Planning permission has been granted. Change to ground floor and retail for part of the first floor....

:(

Disappointing but not surprising.

Equally as disappointing, I wrote to our local councils;

Shaffaq Mohammed (Liberal Democrat)

Stuart Wattam (Labour)

Jayne Dunn (Labour)

Shaffaq Mohammed replied and supported the objection; but neither Stuart Wattam nor Jayne Dunn even had the courtesy to reply. This really shows who actually cares about issues at the very local level to me.

If Sainsburys end up opening in that unit, I know I won't be shopping there.

I was about to post the same. Gutted - I love Williamsons. I don't especially object to a Sainsbury's in Broomhill, but I do object to them forcing out a long-established and very useful local shop in order to have a presence there - not least as the Spar is no doubt bound to close after a while of Sainsbury's trading, which will mean a significantly larger empty shop unit for no good reason.

Stuart Wattam (Labour)

Jayne Dunn (Labour)

Shaffaq Mohammed replied and supported the objection; but neither Stuart Wattam nor Jayne Dunn even had the courtesy to reply. This really shows who actually cares about issues at the very local level to me.

It is such a shame. I know that Shaffaq was totally against it.I love that shop and shall be very sad to see it go. I also wont shop there on principle.

Guest sibon

Stuart Wattam (Labour)

Jayne Dunn (Labour)

I wrote to Shaffaq and to Jayne. They both replied to me:)

Stuart Wattam (Labour)

Jayne Dunn (Labour)

Firstly all three councillors have objected to the proposed development. I got a link to the planning online of the council showing emails from all three

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=M3URVJNYFY000

And over a hundred other people have objected. So this confuses me. Do our councillors have no power. All three councillors of different colours (lib dem and labour) have objected. Ordinary people have objected. Yet the council have approved it anyway. Do we have any democracy in Sheffield?

Firstly all three councillors have objected to the proposed development. I got a link to the planning online of the council showing emails from all three

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=M3URVJNYFY000

And over a hundred other people have objected. So this confuses me. Do our councillors have no power. All three councillors of different colours (lib dem and labour) have objected. Ordinary people have objected. Yet the council have approved it anyway. Do we have any democracy in Sheffield?

Probably - But money talks and can get you what you want, if you get my drift!

There are only certain reasons why planning would be refused. Were the objections valid ones? Just saying "We don't want a supermarket and we want the hardware shop to stay" is not a valid objection.

Also, what about the rights of the Landlord? Why should he be denied the opportunity to run his business to improve his profits? If someone is offered a new job at more money, should they be denied just because some other people don't want them to take it?