Williamson Hardware in Broomhill threatened

I thought On A Roll moved next door?

On A Roll, Broomhill

Williamsons is surely too small for Sainsburys to move into - plus Spar are only a couple of doors along. The old Netto might be the right size for Sainsburys though (is it now a Costcutter/ Nisa?)

They recently opened one right next door to Spar on Division Street...they're taking over the world!!

Williamson Harware is brilliant, it would be tragic if it disappeared. They seem to have an almost unlimited range of stock for a smallish shop.

Wonder if the Broomhill parking scheme has impacted on them though? I don't shop in Broomhill half as much as I used to since they started it. If we pop over to Broomhill for lunch now it tends to be on a Sunday and Williamson's doesn't open then. Not saying Williamson's should bow to Sunday opening pressure, but faffing about with parking might have put people off shopping there.

But that's a whole other topic. I hope Williamson Hardward survives. And if it wants to move somewhere else, it moves nearer me!

Edited by Olive

Sainsburys have opened a store next to The Co-op in Crookes. It might be company policy to open close to a competitor. Williamsons is almost big enough for a Sainsburys. Anyone know how Blackwells is doing?

Blackwell's lease runs out november 2013 and thay will not be releasing the unit, the landlord has put up the to let board on the understanding if he gets a new tennent before 2013 blackwells will discuss early closure.

to my knowledge only two parties have shown interest in the property and as far as i know after viewing no further action was taken .

I am horrified by this - if we get a Sainsburys in Broomhill, it will become just another anonymous suburb with chain shops. There will be 2 Sainsburys within a mile of Broomhill (Crookes and the University Tram Stop) so why on earth do we need another supermarket.

Williamsons is a Broomhill institution and it can't be allowed to disappear. Please can everyone who objects, register their objections with the Council and also email the councillors.

Have added my objections to the list - we love Williamsons and always end up buying something when we hike uphill to Broomhill. Sick of the supermakets killing off our local trade. I see Jacobs (camera shops) have gone under now, another one bites the dust

i have added my objections too as a past resident.my parents live up there and always use the local shops.it would be truly sad if it closed down.more objections need to be made .

I am horrified by this - if we get a Sainsburys in Broomhill, it will become just another anonymous suburb with chain shops. There will be 2 Sainsburys within a mile of Broomhill (Crookes and the University Tram Stop) so why on earth do we need another supermarket.

Williamsons is a Broomhill institution and it can't be allowed to disappear. Please can everyone who objects, register their objections with the Council and also email the councillors.

It would be a lot better if people stopped moaning but chose to use the shop,rather than 8&Q or WKZ.As for blaming an inability to park thats pathetic unless the person is handicapped.

It would be a lot better if people stopped moaning but chose to use the shop,rather than 8&Q or WKZ.As for blaming an inability to park thats pathetic unless the person is handicapped.

Depends on where you live

Wonder if the Broomhill parking scheme has impacted on them though? I don't shop in Broomhill half as much as I used to since they started it. If we pop over to Broomhill for lunch now it tends to be on a Sunday and Williamson's doesn't open then. Not saying Williamson's should bow to Sunday opening pressure, but faffing about with parking might have put people off shopping there.

And on the opposite side of that, I find I shop there more now because I'm pretty sure I can find a space to park in instead of driving round and round for ages. And I'm perfectly happy to pay the princely sum of 40p for that. I'm sure a lot of those spaces were taken up by people who parked there all day.

Depends on where you live

There is an excellent bus service to Broomhill(52,60 ,123 and others)so most people can reach it.

And on the opposite side of that, I find I shop there more now because I'm pretty sure I can find a space to park in instead of driving round and round for ages. And I'm perfectly happy to pay the princely sum of 40p for that. I'm sure a lot of those spaces were taken up by people who parked there all day.

I'm fairly sure you are right - it was parking for people working all day at the Hospitals/ University etc, which stopped short term parkers from using it - seems to work better now

[ The planning application number is 12/01352/FUL.

If you would like to support Williamson's fight to retain their shop in Broomhill please respond to this planning application. The Planning page of broomhillonline tells you how to do this; it's a quick and easy online process.

Posted by Broomhill Banger at 10:57 0 comments

I have registered to respond to the application but have not received confirmation to log on. Is it limited to people who live in the immediate area.