Williamson Hardware in Broomhill threatened

SATURDAY, 2 JUNE 2012

Williamson's Hardware Threatened with closure!

Williamson Hardware has served Broomhill well for 52years,but it's future is now seriously threatened.

Battling a double dip recession and a major downturn in the local student population the business is now facing warfare with it's evil landlord.

Williamson Hardware have been a tenant in the Fulwood Road block since it was completed in 1967, and have been exemplary tenants. They have never been one day late paying their rent.

The landlord is trying to conclude their tenancy having not even had the guts to contact Williamson Hardware directly. Apparently the landlord has an agreement with Sainsbury's to let them have the unit.

In law the only way the landlord can evict the tenant at the end of a lease is to require the premises for his own use or to redevelop it. The landlord has now applied for planning permission to "redevelop" the unit. The planning application number is 12/01352/FUL.

If you would like to support Williamson's fight to retain their shop in Broomhill please respond to this planning application. The Planning page of broomhillonline tells you how to do this; it's a quick and easy online process.

Posted by Broomhill Banger at 10:57 0 comments

Guest sibon

The Broomhillonline website is a bit of a shambles, to be honest.

If anyone wishes to comment, they can follow this link and search using the key word "Williamson".

It would be a real shame to lose such a wonderful shop.

Do you mean that Sainsbury's have bought out the old Mac Market, International (plus others), now Somerfield, and are going to extend it to include the premises you operate your shop from?

The place is an institution it cannot go under, served me well when i lived at Crookes and Broomhill:(

Do you mean that Sainsbury's have bought out the old Mac Market, International (plus others), now Somerfield, and are going to extend it to include the premises you operate your shop from?

"Now Somerfield"? You haven't been to Broomhill in a long time have you? And Sainsbury's would have to buy half the shops on the block to stretch from the Spar to Williamsons.

Williamsons is a great shop and should be supported. The small independent shops that make Broomhill different are already struggling, On a Roll being the latest casualty.

I believe there is a new Sainsburys opening on Upper Hanover St in old HSBC building near the university tram shop.

"Now Somerfield"? You haven't been to Broomhill in a long time have you? And Sainsbury's would have to buy half the shops on the block to stretch from the Spar to Williamsons.

In a sober capacity, no!

Wasn't sure how many doors down from sorry, Spar, Williamsons was.

Surely Sainburys wouldn't be interested in the Williamsons premises, would they? The new Sainsburys in the old Plumb Centre on Ecclesall Rd is too small and has nothing in it.

Anyway I do hope Wiliamsons survives as it is, not enough independent shops around, and Broomhill would be a lesser place without this shop.

Williamsons is a great shop and should be supported. The small independent shops that make Broomhill different are already struggling, On a Roll being the latest casualty.

I believe there is a new Sainsburys opening on Upper Hanover St in old HSBC building near the university tram shop.

Yep, I saw noticed it the other day, these little Express places (or whatever)are opening up all over the place!

I advised on another thread a few months ago, regarding shops in broomhill, that Tesco Express or Saisburys Local were on the prowl, with Williamsons as their prey, looks like the prey has been cornered. I think the thread was about Costa coffee looking to move into the area

Edited by scargill

Has on a roll closed? It was open when I walked past the other day - is it slated for closure?

I've just submitted my objection I hope others will do the same.

Has on a roll closed? It was open when I walked past the other day - is it slated for closure?

Unfortunately it has, despite best efforts. Kids from KES now going down to Greggs that has opened near Hallamshire.