Thinking of opening a pet shop

debraki

I am thinking of opening a pet shop in High Green. It would be really helpful if I could get some comments on how people feel about pet shops generally. Is there anything people would like to see stocked? I am thinking of selling small pets such as guinea pigs and mice. Do you think the market is flooded with the large chains or would you use a small independent shop?

I am thinking of opening a pet shop in High Green. It would be really helpful if I could get some comments on how people feel about pet shops generally. Is there anything people would like to see stocked? I am thinking of selling small pets such as guinea pigs and mice. Do you think the market is flooded with the large chains or would you use a small independent shop?

2 pet shops have recently closed in Highgreen, they sold food and pet products. You will never make it just selling small animals.

Dont give up your day job.........

why not pm Lottie on here she had a shop but now does mobile pet food deliveries etc , I personally think and know that setting up at the moment is not a good idea as you cannot compete with the likes of the pet super stores etc

its definitely all about location and convenience. if you could set up a pet shop that was modern, in a shopping area, have free parking on site or near by, have competitive prices and a good product selection, i think you could make it work. but i think if you dont have ALL of those, then, like teeny says, you cant compete with the chains.

its about time Pets at Home had some decent competition, but where i live, thats about all there is. there are a few independant ones in rotherham but i have only visited their websites.

I personally have never used pet shops that are part of chains. It depends what sector of the market you are looking to supply. I used to drive almost an hour away from my house to a no frills warehouse to buy my animal supplies. In addition to this we used another two suppliers. We do spend between £100 and £200 a month on supplies so I expect a discount and good prices. Our local pet supplier does wholesale and retail and we have struck a deal where we get a discount for bulk purchases.

I was looking into being a poultry supplier so I could get my own feed cheaper but the margins are to small from some suppliers to make it a viable business. I could use my own outbuildings too so I wouldn't have had the overheads of a shop.

i think if you are going to sell small animals you need to look at it very carefully it encourages impulse buying without looking into the reality of caring for the animal in question properly. i personally dont agree with it but if you must sell small animals maybe you could look into sourcing them through responsible local breeders rather than breed farms?