WBC ADSL2+ (21CN Up to 24Mbps) Available at Oughtibridge (SLOB) Exchange.

FruityTen

Dear Fellow Forumers,

Working at an ISP I like to keep myself up to date with the latest developments on BT Wholesales broadband network and BT Openreachs upgrades to the infrastructure and PSTN network.

In recent times we have seen upgrades to FTTC and FTTP available and in some cases offering speeds of around 330Mbps (where available) and 40Mbps on standard FTTC offerings. Unfortunately you need to be on a connected Exchange to take up these "super fast" speeds of tomorrow.

Okay so the post is titled up to 24Mbps. That is BTs "super fast" non fibre technology offering maximum throughput of 21Mbps (IP Profile constraints).

I have been plodding along on the ADSL Max up to 8Mbps for the past few years and prior to that been on the very old ADSL offerings of 512Kbps and 1Mbps fixed line services. Finally that is all about to change! With ADSL2 now being made available at no extra cost (for the majority of ISPs). Obviously to take advantage of this your Exchange needs to be upgraded but I believe Oughtibridge is one of the few that were lagging behind so to speak.

You can check the availability of services at the link below. It will take you directly to BT Wholesales availability checker and will also provide you with a speed estimate for your own Copper line:

dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It gives output details like the below:

For Telephone Number 0114286XXXX on Exchange OUGHTIBRIDGE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

I'm lucky as my line is only about 445Metres so this means I will hopefully be attaining a sync rate of at least 18Mbps!

So thats it folks. No real need in this post but I hope it prompts everyone to check what they're getting in terms of service.

One last point I want to add, before anyone moans about there speed please check you internal set ups. Generally people are plugged into a 20Mtr extension with a 5 year old filter. Do you wonder why you aren't receiving your speed estimate! Check the link below for all the checks you should do to get the VERY BEST broadband speeds.

kitz.co.uk/adsl/index.htm

Any questions please throw them out there. Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend! :D

Kind regards,

Fellow Forumer

Thanks for the info and links.

Just checked mine which gives me the results that :Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

I actually get 2Mbps on a regular basis now so on one hand I am getting more than BT think I should and on the other hand I am getting less. Ho hum.

Dear Fellow Forumers,

Working at an ISP I like to keep myself up to date with the latest developments on BT Wholesales broadband network and BT Openreachs upgrades to the infrastructure and PSTN network.

In recent times we have seen upgrades to FTTC and FTTP available and in some cases offering speeds of around 330Mbps (where available) and 40Mbps on standard FTTC offerings. Unfortunately you need to be on a connected Exchange to take up these "super fast" speeds of tomorrow.

Okay so the post is titled up to 24Mbps. That is BTs "super fast" non fibre technology offering maximum throughput of 21Mbps (IP Profile constraints).

I have been plodding along on the ADSL Max up to 8Mbps for the past few years and prior to that been on the very old ADSL offerings of 512Kbps and 1Mbps fixed line services. Finally that is all about to change! With ADSL2 now being made available at no extra cost (for the majority of ISPs). Obviously to take advantage of this your Exchange needs to be upgraded but I believe Oughtibridge is one of the few that were lagging behind so to speak.

You can check the availability of services at the link below. It will take you directly to BT Wholesales availability checker and will also provide you with a speed estimate for your own Copper line:

dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It gives output details like the below:

For Telephone Number 0114286XXXX on Exchange OUGHTIBRIDGE

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

I'm lucky as my line is only about 445Metres so this means I will hopefully be attaining a sync rate of at least 18Mbps!

So thats it folks. No real need in this post but I hope it prompts everyone to check what they're getting in terms of service.

One last point I want to add, before anyone moans about there speed please check you internal set ups. Generally people are plugged into a 20Mtr extension with a 5 year old filter. Do you wonder why you aren't receiving your speed estimate! Check the link below for all the checks you should do to get the VERY BEST broadband speeds.

Any questions please throw them out there. Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend! :D

Kind regards,

Fellow Forumer

Interesting. OK I have done the test so what do I do now to get the faster speed? (I am already on BT Home Hub btw)

Here are my results -

@ Alky

Unfortunately the clues here are in the first snippet from the Availability checker, I'll quote it below.

However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

This means your line is basically, long as they come, so I would be thankful you are getting a 2Mbps service. Just keep holding out for Fibre mate!

@ Bass Man

Right, all that link tells you is what you should be getting. You can see what you are actually getting by completing a BT Speedtest at the link below. Your ISP can also see this via BT Wholesales systems:

speedtester.bt.com

Also, I'm not here to trouble shoot this for you. I gave you a link in the first post to the Kitz site which is very helpful. Please make sure you read it though because if you don't, the changes won't work properly because you need an understanding of how the Exchange works including DLM / SNR and other bits and pieces. I'll provide the link again:

;)

Excuse me for asking a question! I never asked you to troubleshoot anything for me and yes I have checked ALL the links you mentioned. I am not familiar with some of the terms & options available like most people.

Good day.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across wrongly.

If you get your router stats and post them I can show you how to tell what is good and what is not if that is the case.

kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

The estimate shows you should 17Mbps but can be between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps so lets see what your router is saying.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across wrongly.

If you get your router stats and post them I can show you how to tell what is good and what is not if that is the case.

kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

The estimate shows you should 17Mbps but can be between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps so lets see what your router is saying.

Apologies Fruity Ten, I was a bit grumpy there!

I have just clicked on the BT Home Hub option in the link you gave me and I got a 404 error page!

Anyway, I will have another go later and thanks for offering to help with the stats.

:)

Apologies Fruity Ten, I was a bit grumpy there!

I have just clicked on the BT Home Hub option in the link you gave me and I got a 404 error page!

Anyway, I will have another go later and thanks for offering to help with the stats.

:)

No worries :) try clearing your cache n cookies and if that doesn't work power the hub down for 20 seconds and turn it back on. Should solve it!

Have a good one