How do you tactfully evict your homeless friend/family?

You know the situation. You have a 'lodger' surfing your sofa.

You live in a house, your children flee the nest. Then boom. They all return from the bedsits and return to their old rooms,the last to return cops for the living room/setee. The cost of housing is so high, they cannot afford to make it on their own.

You live in private rented accommodation (with/without a partner), you struggle to pay the bills, in particular the rent and your friend(s) has recently been evicted, he/she/they will live in your living room and go halves on the rent and bills.

You move out, then your parents stop paying the mortgage, get evicted, then move in with you. Etc.

Now then, for one reason or another, perhaps through pay-rises, or the sheer lack of privacy you yearn for your entire living space back. You can afford to inhabit a full property, or would rather be skint and able to walk from the bathroom to the kitchen naked without having to pass through another persons' living room.

For in the UK, space is at a premium. We have the smallest houses in Europe and some of the smallest houses in the world!

"Typical size of a new build home"

Australia - 206m2

USA - 203m2

N Zealand - 176m2

Japan - 132m2

Greece - 126m2

Belgium - 119m2

Netherlands - 116m2

France - 113m2

Germany - 109m2

Spain - 97m2

Austria - 96m2

Italy - 82m2

Britain - 76m2

So the time comes, and you want your pitiful 76m2 to yourself. Not enough room to swing a cat, but if solely for you, you could spin on the spot without slapping somebody in the face.

How do you TACTFULLY evict your homeless family/friends?

Do you tell them a spade is a spade and give them their marching orders? Or do you drop hints?

You prevent, rather than have to cure the problem. Make it clear from the onset what you will accept, length of stay, contribution towards bills etc.

The area for new build is small, but surely if you haven't got the room in the first place, they wouldn't be there?

You prevent, rather than have to cure the problem. Make it clear from the onset what you will accept, length of stay, contribution towards bills etc.

The area for new build is small, but surely if you haven't got the room in the first place, they wouldn't be there?

This ain't Austraila mate.

We don't build enough houses to meet demand as it is, and those that we do, are too small and too expensive.

It might be cramped, but your hardly going to make a mate sleep rough!

Sometimes you end up sharing the beds and settees between multiple people!

What's Australia got to do with it?

You posted. I replied with my opinion .... mate!

They have 206m2 to walk round naked in. We only have 76m2...

If I walk round me house naked, I could take 2 lodgers in Aus and still be able to have the same amount of space to walk naked in.

(You made a god contribution to the thread - I'm having a rant against the small size of property in this country, not you.)

I like to rant about the absurd housing situation in the UK ;)

We might have the largest houses over here in Australia, but they still haven't cottoned on to double glazing, central heating, or bricks. And it does get cold in winter. The cost or renting is also ridiculous.

I'd swap my small 2 bed apartment in Sheffield City Centre for my 2 bed house in Richmond, Melbourne any day of the week.

chem1st, I always find your posts negative and as though you expect something for nothing. You wouldn't get all these people staying in a 76m2 property. I'm on holiday at the moment and the area of my two bed apartment is 75m2, not counting outside space. We only have two shower rooms and two bedroom and an open plan kitchen/lounge/diner. The kitchen is a few units along one wall and we only have one sofa. It would be very 'cosy' with six people in here so I suggest you may have more space than you realise.

I would sit everyone down and be frank with them about bills and length of stay etc.

I don't know why everyone goes on about the price of houses so much. I purchased my first house in 1985 when my salary was £3,000. The house cost me £19,000. I know how much council tax, then rates, water rates, food etc were and most people are as well if not better off now. In my experience people exect a better standard of living and say they can't afford it when what they really mean is that they can't affford the lifestyle they want.

I have spoken to many people in the generation below me or at least people thirty years and under and discussed their finances. People don't seem to be able to to live within their means and realise how well off they really are. They seem to think they should have a fully furnished house with all mod cons as soon as they get their first pad.

If it was me (and im a relatively nice guy) I would make it worth my while. If they were staying (if it was a week or two it would be for free) they would have to pay alot more than their fair share of the bills and this would be my hassle money. The only exception would be my son and as long as i could afford it he would live with me for free.I agree with Chez2 last paragraph.

Thanks Rimrunner. We didn't have a 'choice' where we lived in our first house. My husband had a company car so we had to live in an area where the wheels would be on the car the next morning. Other than that we had a tiny new house with everything in it either second hand or given to us as people were upgrading. We had a new bed as a wedding present. We saved up to buy material to make two pairs of new curtains but that was it. Shops and supermarkets used to close at 5pm and we didn't have a freezer until we had been married for two or three years. We couldn't afford a video player/recorder for three years. It was seven years later when we could afford to buy our first new sofa.