Longley Park 6th Form College

Having thought my daughter was safely set up with a place to do A levels at Hillsborough college, we have just been informed that they are not running a course on her main subject!

We are now looking at other colleges which might accept a late entry :/

Does anyone have any experience of Longley Park 6th form college to share?

I am wondering whether to go after a school 6th form such as Silverdale or King Edwards, or whether it would be better to stay over in the North of Sheffield - there don't seem to be many places offering French which she is desperate to do, and less that still have places available :/

Guest sibon

I've sent quite a few kids on to Longley. They all do well and really like the environment.

I'm not sure that you will get a place in a school sixth form so late in the year.

I went to Longley College. I hated it, the course materials were poor. The teaching methods were shocking! The canteen was like segregation, whites at one side and everyone else at the other. Too many 'badmans' (D**kheads). So i quit, got a part time job then went to Hillsborough college the following September. Now I loved it there, everyone got on no matter on their race/looks/beliefs. The materials they have for their courses is brilliant, I couldn't fault the teachers and how they all taught in their own ways rather than what the text book tells you to do.

I've sent quite a few kids on to Longley. They all do well and really like the environment.

I'm not sure that you will get a place in a school sixth form so late in the year.

Thanks for that Sibon. I know it is difficult to get a place this late, and I am very annoyed about it, as we got her the place at Hillsborough in good time - in fact we first went to look at it last year and they offered her a place last September, but she wanted to go with others the same age instead of a year early so we deferred it to this year.

Longley looks nice, and they were very keen to have her but I did wonder if there were many kids there who had similar aspirations to her (she wants to go to Cambridge or Oxford eventually), and I wondered if it would be easier to achieve her aims from one of the schools.

I went to Longley College. I hated it, the course materials were poor. The teaching methods were shocking! The canteen was like segregation, whites at one side and everyone else at the other. Too many 'badmans' (D**kheads). So i quit, got a part time job then went to Hillsborough college the following September. Now I loved it there, everyone got on no matter on their race/looks/beliefs. The materials they have for their courses is brilliant, I couldn't fault the teachers and how they all taught in their own ways rather than what the text book tells you to do.

How long ago is this Gary? What subjects did you think gave the poor teaching? She is hoping to do English Language, English Lit, Philosophy and French.

When we went round today Longley looked very well resourced and the teachers seemed motivated and interested.

Hillsborough would have been ideal but they have treated her badly not letting us know they were not going to run a course in French until the last minute.

We do have an possible option of her doing her other A levels at Hillsborough and going to Longley just for the French classes, but they say the logistics would be very difficult.

As she has additional needs, both Hillsborough and Longley have been very clear that they could offer the support she needs (door to door transport), whereas the schools have been very unclear, mostly saying it would be impossible.

If you'd have asked me about my experiences back in Sept, Oct, Nov last year when my son first went there I wouldn't have recommended it. My son was very unhappy and we approached the college with his concerns as he was wanting to leave. I can not speak highly enough of the support and work they did with my son. Not only with his course work but with the pastoral care and support they have given him.

They have helped him more in the first 6 months than his secondary school did for the whole 5 years he was there.

He is much happier thanks to their help and assistance he is going to continue and do his second year.

If you'd have asked me about my experiences back in Sept, Oct, Nov last year when my son first went there I wouldn't have recommended it. My son was very unhappy and we approached the college with his concerns as he was wanting to leave. I can not speak highly enough of the support and work they did with my son. Not only with his course work but with the pastoral care and support they have given him.

They have helped him more in the first 6 months than his secondary school did for the whole 5 years he was there.

He is much happier thanks to their help and assistance he is going to continue and do his second year.

It is good to hear they have worked to resolve problems.

What made him so unhappy initially?

Edited by hennypenny

How long ago is this Gary? What subjects did you think gave the poor teaching? She is hoping to do English Language, English Lit, Philosophy and French.

When we went round today Longley looked very well resourced and the teachers seemed motivated and interested.

Hillsborough would have been ideal but they have treated her badly not letting us know they were not going to run a course in French until the last minute.

We do have an possible option of her doing her other A levels at Hillsborough and going to Longley just for the French classes, but they say the logistics would be very difficult.

As she has additional needs, both Hillsborough and Longley have been very clear that they could offer the support she needs (door to door transport), whereas the schools have been very unclear, mostly saying it would be impossible.

It was a couple of year ago now, so it could have changed.

The subjects I studied there; Sociology, Psychology, Media Studies & Photography. The tutor in sociology was brilliant he didnt just give us a text book and get us to copy paragraphs out of it. He actually interacted with us and taught us! The rest just didnt seem to be able to teach you without the lesson plan being in front of them.

I did have a friend who studied french there at A Level and come out with brilliant grades so I cant fault them really + I never studied that subject.

Yeah I agree it is a good idea going to both with the one bus too and from each college.

It is good to hear they have worked to resolve problems.

What made him so unhappy initially?

Thanks

Janet

It was a number of things I think, teenage life, he really wasn't enjoying one of his subjects and he felt very isolated as in a few of his lessons he was the only student who had English as his only language and his fellow students chose to speak arabic rather than English.