Scrap thieves in S5 this morning.

Ive never seen or heard of an englishman going round collecting/stealing scrap.
Scotsman? Welshman? Northern Irishman? Or do you mean British man?

Bring back the old fashioned rag n bone man! That's what I say ;) least you knew who they were and what the horses name was.

Yes there was Mr Collins from Hill Street I believe, and one who used to call around Gleadless was a Mr Boardman who was always very well turned out with a necker piece.

Apart from that they were very handy for the gardeners potatoes.

We got a lot of calls at streetforce this morning about missing manhole covers in S5....

There was a scrap man the other day went to my neibourgh and took a propper bbq set off their garden

No reg or discription

Also the other year (your allowed to laugh at this one) 2 scrap men came to my house with bolt cutters and tried to get 2 bikes that were chained up

my dad sorted them out

Hes not the kind of bloke to mess with

Although hes nether been arrested

Edited by s5gh

Yes there was Mr Collins from Hill Street I believe, and one who used to call around Gleadless was a Mr Boardman who was always very well turned out with a necker piece.

Apart from that they were very handy for the gardeners potatoes.

What exactly did they do with the Gardeners potatoes.

There was a scrap man the other day went to my neibourgh and took a propper bbq set off their garden

No reg or discription

Also the other year (your allowed to laugh at this one) 2 scrap men came to my house with bolt cutters and tried to get 2 bikes that were chained up

my dad sorted them out

Hes not the kind of bloke to mess with

Although hes nether been arrested

hope he sorted them out seriously :)

I agree its not rocket science and would be easy to catch them but the police as usual seem to think its a difficult task !

I think you may find it is not the police function to check waste carriers licence. I suspect it may be a council department requirement.

I think you may find it is not the police function to check waste carriers licence. I suspect it may be a council department requirement.

Council, Police, EA, person receiving waste or VOSA can all check. Council can keep the money from the fines. The problem would be solved if the scrap yards checked carriers licence and waste transfer note. WTN gives the company the waste has come from. Carriers licence can be checked on line in seconds to see if it is valid.

Council, Police, EA, person receiving waste or VOSA can all check. Council can keep the money from the fines. The problem would be solved if the scrap yards checked carriers licence and waste transfer note. WTN gives the company the waste has come from. Carriers licence can be checked on line in seconds to see if it is valid.

Agreed but all the same, I want bobbies out doing their job, not stood at a scrap yard checking licences.

Ceecee appeared to be making out it was the police inaction that was the root of the problem.

Agreed but all the same, I want bobbies out doing their job, not stood at a scrap yard checking licences.

Ceecee appeared to be making out it was the police inaction that was the root of the problem.

I assumed they meant stop vehicles which are on the road, suspected of carrying stolen goods. I would see this as part of their job.

By that you mean that every scrap merchant should be stopped and checked?

Surely you are not suggesting that should be an officers grounds for reasonable suspicion.

I should imagine there would be a lot of complaints to the IPCC if you are

By that you mean that every scrap merchant should be stopped and checked?

Surely you are not suggesting that should be an officers grounds for reasonable suspicion.

I should imagine there would be a lot of complaints to the IPCC if you are

The police had a campaign of randomly stopping vans that had no business signage on the side of the vehicle.

Makes sense.

Edited by Clown Shoes