Scrap thieves in S5 this morning.

Thanks for this will keep. Check on this

Ive never seen or heard of an englishman going round collecting/stealing scrap.

Jesus wept, it's no wonder this country is in such a state.

The police and other partners are working together on this. This is a priority for us, and we recently did a lot of work that hit the headlines in relation to the yards that were paying out for stolen goods and not checking sources.. Many of the scrapyards are on board and making an effort to work with us, but there is much more work to be done. We need any information that will help.

most never check your load or ask for the carrier licence...if they did...the scrappers would take their scrap to another yard....

vans are trawling the city 24/7......and the amount of kiddies bikes on the back is scandalous....much have some rich families who throw their kids toys away on a daily basis....

Ive never seen or heard of an englishman going round collecting/stealing scrap.

I know plenty of English men stealing scrap so you are telling porkies.

my two kids mountain bikes were nicked by theiving scrap scum 2/3 weeks ago.

ive had to replace them at a cost of £100 by buying very nearly new ones off ebay. took a few hours of searching for the right bikes.

im thinking of setting up a camera on our alley way too.

I talk to scrap yards as part of my business and ask why they don't check carriers licence and transfer not for each load, this would solve a lot of the problem if they all did it. I have mentioned to them that it is their legal obligation to do this. It takes a few seconds to check carriers licence on line. A fine for failure of duty of care is £5,000. Someone should test the scrap yards by taking loads in without the required docs to see if it will be accepted. A few £5,000 fines might keep them on their toes.

I agree its not rocket science and would be easy to catch them but the police as usual seem to think its a difficult task !

TBF the Police these days have that much red tape set out by Government and legal authorities that I'm surprised we see them at all!

I'm sure your average bobbie would love to be out a lot more rather then being stuck inside filling 25 forms as to why the Polish kid that jumped a red light hasn't got any paperwork regarding his/her stay in the UK.

we are in s5 and get them all the time even at 6 in the morning

Do you contact the police ?

Scrap thieves were out early this morning in S5. Stealing from gardens and taking manhole covers too. Driving around in a S reg vauxhall combo van.

If you live in S5 be careful not to fall down one of the holes they left.

They're at it again in Walkley 09:10 13/8/2012

Nice link, thanks. Will spread the word.