Scrap thieves in S5 this morning.

I took a picture the other day of some scrappers smashing a fridge up with an axe!! on my street

They took what they wanted then just left the fridge all over

That's quite common, they take the compressor because that can be weighed in as electric motors and leave the rest for the taxpayer to dispose of.

I've even seen a smashed up TV set, they take the field coils off the tube and leave the rest.

Many of the scrapyards are on board and making an effort to work with us...

Are they, or are they just pretending?

The last yard I went to only did the proper paperwork because I asked for a receipt, and even there they didn't ask about my waste carrier's licence (arguably I don't need one).

I talk to scrap yards as part of my business and ask why they don't check carriers licence and transfer not for each load, this would solve a lot of the problem if they all did it.

They should also be required to give a receipt to the person they get the scrap from in the first place, then there is a paper trail for every bit of metal.

A few £5,000 fines might keep them on their toes.

Never mind the fine. Hit them with POCA: take their house and business.

Last year we were all moaning about garden thefts, etc and a customer said that he worked in a scrap yard and more or less said that the majority of the scrap they took in was stolen. He was only a lad, so maybe being a bit bullish about it, but why would he lie?

Unless the thieves have their own facilities for melting down stolen items, like manhole covers, whoever buys them must know they're nicked?

I know it's difficult due to manpower constraints and stupid rules and regulations, but I do think the police and other powers-that-be could be more pro-active. The thieves are just so blatant about it, as though they think they're untouchable.

Ive never seen or heard of an englishman going round collecting/stealing scrap.

You must be very selective about your reading material then.

In theory it's more difficult to sell melted metals than complete items. Scrapyards are wary of stuff that's been melted down because they're not sure what it is, for example a nice square block of lead could have a brick hidden in it.

Lead, zinc, aluminium and copper can be melted down using back-yard furnaces, but iron and steel would be a different proposition. To dispose of these means scrapyards and the firms they sell to have to turn a blind eye.

To dispose of these means scrapyards and the firms they sell to have to turn a blind eye.

Which many are happy to do.

S5, I am surprised that people don't steal the people who are stealing. There is nothing wrong with any area in sheffield, it is just the people who live there.

How can you tell from looking at them where they are from?

It seems to me you're using this as an excuse to make racist remarks.

Let alone a whole van-full!

amy20 u need a reality check! most of scrapmen are englishmen. and the average foreigner works.

open your eyes and take it all in dont just repeat what you have heard from conditioning!

S5, I am surprised that people don't steal the people who are stealing. There is nothing wrong with any area in sheffield, it is just the people who live there.

Bet you live on your own and eat Microwave meals:hihi:

I've never seen anything other than white folks collecting scrap, some of them Irish.

Scrap thieves were out early this morning in S5. Stealing from gardens and taking manhole covers too. Driving around in a S reg vauxhall combo van.

If you live in S5 be careful not to fall down one of the holes they left.

Thanks will keep a check on this.