Prince Andrew visiting the mosque on Wolseley Road.

I heard Prince Andrew came and visited the big mosque on Wolseley Road earlier this week. Do you think this is a good or bad thing for the community? And reasons why you think it is a good or bad thing? I personally think it is an excellent impression on the community and the nation and was very good of him to take time out and visit a mosque. I think it is good for people to have an understanding (not from the media) of other religions and what they are about and if royalty can take time out to do that anyone can! Rather than being sat at home watching the telly and making judgements. And for Muslims to know that there are people out there that are interested in the real Islam and understanding it, and making the mosques doors more open to the public.:thumbsup:

Given that we are stuck with an unelected German head of state and her parasitic family for now, I'd say that this was probably a good idea.

One thing we all have in common is that we are subjects of the crown (whether we like it or not) and so it makes perfect sense for Andy to visit a wide range of communities and that includes places of worship.

I don't see the problem and if I'd known, I'd have gone along...if only to let him know that the republic is coming and his days of inherited privilege are numbered.

I don't see the problem and if I'd known, I'd have gone along...if only to let him know that the republic is coming and his days of inherited privilege are numbered.
you having a laugh :loopy::hihi:

Sorry is it Haram to discuss? I am not agitated, I am surprised at the look, thats all.

That's what mosques look like.

Although it took to long, we did get rid of that awful egg box building.

..and replaced it with the Winter Gardens, a building also incongruous to its surroundings.

Guest busdriver1
Given that we are stuck with an unelected German head of state and her parasitic family for now, I'd say that this was probably a good idea.

One thing we all have in common is that we are subjects of the crown (whether we like it or not) and so it makes perfect sense for Andy to visit a wide range of communities and that includes places of worship.

The phrase " in my opinion" might have added some sadly lacking credibility to your post.

No I am asking how this building did get planning permission.

It received planning permission after lengthy negotiations with the planning department, required amendments to the proposal and final approval by the planning committee..an independent body responsible for making such decisions.

As a citizen of Sheffield you're able to be elected to such committees and impose your own view on the direction the city's architecture should take.

How about you all just agree to disagree I mean who cares! My baby is turning 1 tomorrow, I have a week of to do fun things with my kids and a new sofa on its way any minute now and a holiday to plan.....way more interesting things going on in my life lol, I never go to the area or live anywhere near it so it has no affect on me, personally I find all the littler and naked fat hairy men on hot summers days more of an eye sore, talk about that for a while lol

I dont do religion. But I have to say that on my travels in Egypt, China, Tunisia and Istanbul, I have visited Mosques. I have always been made welcome. The traditions and beliefs have been explained to me.

I have come to the conclusion that their is little wrong with religious belief as long as it is tolerant of other beliefs and ways of living. There are things, as a westerner, that I am uncomfortable with re Islam, the treatment of women, the halal process etc.

That aside, I believe the teachings of the prophet are a good basis for anyone to live their lives.

Live and let live.

Not necessarily a subject for this thread, seeing as Prince Andrew went to the gurduwara and not the Mosque, but I want to correct your comment (in bold...

I, as a Muslim have a "problem" with some practices, but it's a problem I have with the CULTURAL background to the lack of women's rights in some areas, which goes against what Islam actually preaches.

As for Halal meat. it's been repeated many times by myself and others, that if halal meat is slaughtered according to the Islamic rules, the animal is treated gently, and the animal's death is kinder than most deaths in western abattoirs.

Not necessarily a subject for this thread, seeing as Prince Andrew went to the gurduwara and not the Mosque, but I want to correct your comment (in bold...

I, as a Muslim have a "problem" with some practices, but it's a problem I have with the CULTURAL background to the lack of women's rights in some areas, which goes against what Islam actually preaches.

As for Halal meat. it's been repeated many times by myself and others, that if halal meat is slaughtered according to the Islamic rules, the animal is treated gently, and the animal's death is kinder than most deaths in western abattoirs.

Both statements are wrong. please start a thread on one or both the subjects and ill be happy to educate you.

This is the published itinerary of his visit: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/prince-andrew-in-sheffield-jubilee-visit-1-4590119

The plans were to include visits to a Sikh temple and the Islamic centre, as well as businesses.

As he has a high profile, due to being a member of the Royals who are heavily linked to the Anglican church, any interfaith links seem positive to me.

I hope he told them what an eye sore it is and how out of place it is amongst a British cityscape, and that that sort of architecture (domes and minarets) belongs in the Middle East rather than imposing it on British cities.

I agree, they look ridiculous mixed in with modern city skylines.