Prince Andrew visiting the mosque on Wolseley Road.

Yes i see,and in gaining an understanding of other cultures and religions helps to break down barriers and promote better relations,which is a very good thing.

yep, spot on! i find other cultures very interesting and exciting! Having been on a few holidays I have seen a few different cultures and loved a couple of them! if only everyone could have an open mind the world would be a much nicer place!

I keep seeing the word British and eye sore, I personally find it a little ugly but only because its cheaply done. I'm British and Muslim and Britain is full of different faiths and colours/backgrounds etc so Britain isnt white people and beer with the odd trip to the church. this country was built by Arabs, Pakistanis, white men and black, especially after the 2nd war when most of our men didnt come home and we were seriously short on workers! So British is Muslim and mosque just like its Christian and church or atheist and no place of worship. Yeah lots of muslims here are arrogant up them selves but so is alot of the non muslims. I think the prince could have visited a better mosque tho as this one isn't liked much by Muslims lol never mind non Muslims! and i'm sure he goes to church often so its not an issue or special when he does as its a usual thing for him to do.

i didnt know around £2m would be classed as cheaply done? I dont think theres a better mosque what can even compare in size of visitors or facilities in Sheffield? And youre saying it is not liked? I think it has the highest number of prayer attendees in Sheffield.

I think it needs a bigger car park. And good on Prince Andrew even if he was "doing as he was told"

That is all

Did he visit any places of worship of other religions as well? Or was it just a move to appease the Muslim society?

I'd be more impressed to read about a Muslim leader visiting our Churches I think.

As far as Im aware British Muslims are citizens of this country just like British Christians are and as we're all subjects of HM it seems to me perfectly reasonable that her son would visit a mosque.

Incidentally there were quite a few 'Muslim leaders' in Westminster Abbey participating in a Christian ceremony of the High Church variety when Prince William got married.

It was built by the Asian community and from experience they tend to stick to each other and are kind arrogant and not really very welcoming to non asians. We (some friends) wanted to teach some Islamic studies and use a room there but unless we stuck to the warped opinions of the asians and didnt teach womens rights it was ok so we quickly left, and 2 million? where did the money go! in the carpet because the green tops look very cheap, check out dubai mosques they are all done in cream so dont stick out like a sore thumb but still look beautiful.

I heard Prince Andrew came and visited the big mosque on Wolseley Road earlier this week. Do you think this is a good or bad thing for the community? And reasons why you think it is a good or bad thing? I personally think it is an excellent impression on the community and the nation and was very good of him to take time out and visit a mosque. I think it is good for people to have an understanding (not from the media) of other religions and what they are about and if royalty can take time out to do that anyone can! Rather than being sat at home watching the telly and making judgements. And for Muslims to know that there are people out there that are interested in the real Islam and understanding it, and making the mosques doors more open to the public.:thumbsup:

How did that get planning permission?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=opera&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&q=Wolseley+Road+sheffield&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4879828a6d0cd217:0x58f0f5f76094b390,Wolseley+Rd,+Sheffield&gl=uk&ei=xObJT4m-A-Km0QWt3fXVAQ&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

does not match anything in area, not even tried to.

Edited by HighGreens35

I dont do religion. But I have to say that on my travels in Egypt, China, Tunisia and Istanbul, I have visited Mosques. I have always been made welcome. The traditions and beliefs have been explained to me.

I have come to the conclusion that their is little wrong with religious belief as long as it is tolerant of other beliefs and ways of living. There are things, as a westerner, that I am uncomfortable with re Islam, the treatment of women, the halal process etc.

That aside, I believe the teachings of the prophet are a good basis for anyone to live their lives.

Live and let live.

Guest sibon

Maybe we should demolish it then.

Along with all of the other churches with huge spires that don't match the surrounding architecture.

Along with all of the other churches with huge spires that don't match the surrounding architecture.

Personally Id flatten the whole area. Thats not a religious point of view either

I think your point is invalid as the churches pre date the surrounding architecture.

Although it took to long, we did get rid of that awful egg box building.

Guest sibon
I think your point is invalid as the churches pre date the surrounding architecture.

So, are you suggesting that the houses near the churches shouldn't have been given planning permission then?

So, are you suggesting that the houses near the churches shouldn't have been given planning permission then?

No I am asking how this building did get planning permission.