Has Anyone Ever Worked For Gunstone's Bakery?

I've just discovered how this company operates, which is, frankly, a little bit iffy...

One thing is that the night staff can be told at any time their shift is over. They do not have set hours. So at 2.30am the order can be given that the shift is over, so the pay stops....This ensures that the company do not have to pay the hourly rate for the rest of the shift which should end at 6.30am.

That's bad enough but the location of the bakery make it difficult for any of the staff to hike it home, the person I was talking to said it would take her 3 hours. She can't afford a taxi and the first bus is not while 6.30am.

So basically there's a dozen or so, mainly young boys and girls and immigrant workers hanging about for hours before they can get home...

I thought slavery was illegal. I understand they supply M & S with food, I won't be buying anything from M & S food dept again...

Sounds very dubious. Can they be reported for that?

I don't know. Hopefully someone on here will know and save me the trouble of wading through employment law, of which, I know nothing about....

It's nearly all Asians that do that shift I think. I've been on the bus up that way at about 9.00 at night and it was full to the brim with Asian lads going up there to work.

It's nearly all Asians that do that shift I think. I've been on the bus up that way at about 9.00 at night and it was full to the brim with Asian lads going up there to work.

I think they're being taken advantage of, as are the young people that work there...

I don,t know if its still owned by Vision Finance the same as Fletchers Bakeries but they are an asset stripping outfit who pull every trick in the book and some not invented yet!.Both firms have the regular workers wages undercut by immigrant labour and agency workers who have no rights and can be laid off at a minutes notice.At Fletchers the agency have an office on site,I worked there for over 30yrs and at the end I couldn,t get away quick enough there are a lot of unhappy workers at both firms,Vision area good old fashioned cowboy outfit who would skin a trump!:rant::roll::rant:

I don,t know if its still owned by Vision Finance the same as Fletchers Bakeries but they are an asset stripping outfit who pull every trick in the book and some not invented yet!.Both firms have the regular workers wages undercut by immigrant labour and agency workers who have no rights and can be laid off at a minutes notice.At Fletchers the agency have an office on site,I worked there for over 30yrs and at the end I couldn,t get away quick enough there are a lot of unhappy workers at both firms,Vision area good old fashioned cowboy outfit who would skin a trump!:rant::roll::rant:

I'm surprised Marks and Sparks are involved in such a shady enterprise, but then again I'm not...They'd roll their granny down the tip for two bob....

I'm surprised Marks and Sparks are involved in such a shady enterprise, but then again I'm not...They'd roll their granny down the tip for two bob....

Well I am very surprised. M and S are constantly telling us how well the hens that lay their eggs for their mayonnaise are looked after, pity the same care doesn't appear to be applied to humans who make the food, according to the OP.

I fear working conditions are going to become ever worse under the Condems, with their new 'sack em as we like' laws being rolled out. Pity the same doesn't apply to MPs!!

We're going to have to decide very carefully which companies get our hard earned pounds now.

Edited by Darth Vader

My friend worked there years ago. His only memories of the place involve amorous middle-aged female workers, free buckets of cheap olive oil and free giant rolls of reformed mechanically retrieved chicken.

Their employer tactics will be everywhere soon- minimum wage, zero hour contracts, instant dismissals and general abuse of the workers. Another 2 years with the nasty party in and we'll all be there.

I think you are right to boycott m&s even as I write this on a device that was assembled in southern china by a 12 year old who works 14 hour shifts for a bag of rice a week. :(

Is this place still operating?  Tragic if it is, it should be shut down.

Used to work there years ago. Best thing I ever did was finish.   More recently I used to collect from there and you would see loads of staff turning up and only so many of them would be chosen to work that shift and rest would be sent home no pay etc and that would happen at least 5 days a week   Don’t know what it’s like now though