Why are the council above the law?

If other agencies I pay bills to acted like SCC they would be seen as bullies and reported to the FSA. I have today recieved a summons from SCC for the privilege of paying them £150 in April and £150 in May, but as I didn't pay on the day they want it as I pay when I have the money, they issued me a summons and added £48 costs. Year after year I pay in full before the next years bill is due, but that seems to make no difference in how I am treated. I wanted to turn up at court as you would in this situation with any other agency and asked where my papers were to send in a defence. They really didn't want me to do this, despite saying this was what I wanted to do. They make Dick Turpin look like a pussycat.

They disappear when your account is overpaid.

How do I issue a summons? :)

Exactly the thing with all councils tbh. You owe them even as little as a penny and they're 'beating at your door' with final demands & baliffs etc.

Reverse the situation and it's the council that owes you and it takes months of form-filling and waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn.

Go to court plead poverty and they will put you on a payment plan and that will be less than the cost of paying it on time,only drawback is they put a court order on you to pay if you don't pay they could have you down the nick fast still a lot cheaper than paying on time stuff um as if we don't have enough money to pay out on tax vat and water rates for them idiots to waste they are just legalised bandits.

I once moved into a property around July, rang the council to let them know so I could start paying council tax. I rang them every month that they didn't send me a council tax bill, even sent them letters. Still didn't send me a Council Tax bill so I had no idea how much it was, or an account number or remittance slips or anything. Then in December I gets a letter from SCC threatening court action for not paying!

If other agencies I pay bills to acted like SCC they would be seen as bullies and reported to the FSA. I have today recieved a summons from SCC for the privilege of paying them £150 in April and £150 in May, but as I didn't pay on the day they want it as I pay when I have the money, they issued me a summons and added £48 costs. Year after year I pay in full before the next years bill is due, but that seems to make no difference in how I am treated. I wanted to turn up at court as you would in this situation with any other agency and asked where my papers were to send in a defence. They really didn't want me to do this, despite saying this was what I wanted to do. They make Dick Turpin look like a pussycat.

Exactly same has happened to me. Aways paid my council tax in full, no arrears and I have now received a summons. I'm panicking because I have never been in this situation before. Ok, fair enough I haven't paid when I should but like you say I pay it when I can and have ALWAYS paid it.

Have been trying to ring them all day and can't get through. I am spending money on phone calls that I can't afford!!

What to do??

P.S. When I rung them, there was a message saying there is a high volume of calls due to summons being sent out! Us and how many more?

I held on until someone answered. When I said I wanted them to send me proper court papers so I could submit a defence they didnt know what to say. My court date was june 14/5 th at 2pm. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are issued court papers you have more than that to acknowledge the claim then 28 days to send in a defense. Hence my question why are SCC above the law, and why do they not have to follow the same rules as everybody else. Wish everyone receiving a 'summons' today would turn up at court. They wouldn't know what to do with us all!!!

If you haven't been served with the Claim Form and the Particulars of Claim then they have not effected service on you and the proceedings are void until they do.

You need to write to the Court confirming that you have not been served with any proceedings (if you can confirm this).

They might listen to you, but probably not or in time for the hearing, so you had better turn up at the hearing with your letter, proof if you have it and hope the Court will confirm no service.

In the meantime, write to the council/capita or whoever is running the case for them and get them to confirm the date of service, address of service of the proceedings and if they served the proceedings themselves or through the court.

In the end though, if you havent paid, service will be perfected eventually by the council if you are succesful in the hearing and you will have no defence to the pleaded case.

I would therefore probably turn up to the hearing and put forward a payment plan that the Court will most likely agree to.