Danger! Tricks for entertainment

Right, so here is a bit of a moral quandary I think. It's all about dangerous tricks and magics. I know everybody enjoys tricks (e.g. fire walkers, flame eaters, circus men etc), but is it the danger that makes it good or would it be good without the danger? It's weird because some people seem to really think the fact that a magic or a trick has danger to it then that makes it good but aren't these people just enjoying someone put their bodies at risk in the name of entertainment? If so then that makes it a bit morally wrong doesn't it? It's weird cos everyone likes magic all the way down to the little child at the birthday party with a clown 'eating' candles from his birthday cake to shock the onlookers (parents and children usually). Another thing is that women have always gotten sawed in half by magicians with axes etc etc. It's like the people are astonished by the danger to the women and this also makes me wonder why it's always a woman? Any ideas?

Any ideas?

none, sorry

Formula 1's risk element is why people [i.e. men] watch it, I suspect.

There was a juggler on one of those tv talent shows who was panned for not having any dangerous elements in the act.

So they got them to juggle chainsaws and knives.

There was no more skill involved and it was essentially the same act, but it suddenly became interesting because of the possibility of witnessing someone suffering a horrific accident if they got it wrong.

There's an awful lot of people out there with a morbid fascination in seeing other people get hurt, I'm very glad I'm not one of them.

There was a juggler on one of those tv talent shows who was panned for not having any dangerous elements in the act.

So they got them to juggle chainsaws and knives.

There was no more skill involved and it was essentially the same act, but it suddenly became interesting because of the possibility of witnessing someone suffering a horrific accident if they got it wrong.

There's an awful lot of people out there with a morbid fascination in seeing other people get hurt, I'm very glad I'm not one of them.

Very good examples. Yes, it's very strange. It makes me wonder how things are going to develop in the future. For instance, when people realise that football could be made riskier, they might have ideas such as spikes round the touchline or a blazing goalmouth, etc. If you look at cricket, it's already going that way with the Twenty 20 stuff (more danger in the crowd with the likes of Scott Styris, Boom Boom Afridi and the idiot Kevin Pietersen belting it for 6).

By the way, did the chainsaw juggler do it OK?

Just the same as people rubbernecking after a car accident.

...By the way, did the chainsaw juggler do it OK?
As far as I'm aware they made it off stage without losing any appendages, I don't think they won though.

--edit--

This was the one britains got talent dangerous juggler

Simon Cowell says there should be "fire in there or something" & "every juggler should juggle with something that can hurt people" - I may have written that wrongly the speakers aren't brilliant but it sounded like that to me.

So Mr Cowell doesn't mind watching people putting their own lives at risk just so he can have a laugh

The juggler got through though, no idea what happened to them later

Edited by esme

Any ideas?

none, sorry

:hihi::hihi:

Another thing is that women have always gotten sawed in half by magicians with axes etc etc. It's like the people are astonished by the danger to the women and this also makes me wonder why it's always a woman? Any ideas?

They'd have to be a magician to saw somebody in half with an axe.

I once saw an alternative magician.

He pulled a top hat out of a rabbit! The rabbit was already dead, so it didn`t suffer.

As far as I'm aware they made it off stage without losing any appendages, I don't think they won though.

--edit--

This was the one britains got talent dangerous juggler

Simon Cowell says there should be "fire in there or something" & "every juggler should juggle with something that can hurt people" - I may have written that wrongly the speakers aren't brilliant but it sounded like that to me.

So Mr Cowell doesn't mind watching people putting their own lives at risk just so he can have a laugh

The juggler got through though, no idea what happened to them later

Crikey! I thought better of Simon Cowell too. I thought his real skill was getting talented singers together to sing chart songs (JLS, Burke, Lewis, and the squad). It's madness how he just wanted danger. Again, a splendid example of badness on TV.

That duck failure was great though, although maybe the duck was traumatised by the bangs?