The Queens visit to Sheffield 1954

I believe this topic has been touched upon before in this forum, but with the Diamond Jubilee this weekend could we cast our minds back on what memories do you have of the visit in 1954. Any photographs anybody?

I believe this topic has been touched upon before in this forum, but with the Diamond Jubilee this weekend could we cast our minds back on what memories do you have of the visit in 1954. Any photographs anybody?

I remember that day because I wagged school because I didnt want to go to Hillsborough to see her as I didnt have any love for the Royals & I still dont.

A day in my life I have always laughed about since on many occasions !

I was only 7 at the time. All my pals were either over at Hillsborough or elsewhere.

Mom and Dad and my older brother were at work, so Mom in her wisdom decided the safest place for me was inside Highfields Library on London Road. Reading and looking through all those books kept me occupied for hours.

Suppose today's Mother's would lock a 7 year old in the house and leave them with all that technology.

In 1954 a 7 year old was given plenty of freedom.

I attended Hillsborough infants and Junior school by Sheff. Wed. Football ground , before we moved, shortly after King George V1 died in 1952. However I well remember a visit by Princess Elizabeth and Phillip before 1954 , circa 1951/1952 , where she paraded round Wednesday Football ground in an open Series One Land Rover, and of course we were dragged to see this spectacle given the day off school

Nobody seems to remember this earlier visit by the then Princess Elizabeth ?

Gary Marshman

I remember the early visit all our school attended the Wednesday ground I was around 8yrs old at the time.Does anyone remember the display on the field by Sheffield schoolkids,they all wore different coloured T-shirts, at the end of which hundreds of them dropped to the turf creating a giant Union Jack very impressive.It must have taken many hours of practice,the open Land Rover I thought was a bit of a let down!.:cool::)

old tup

Re your visit to Wednesday Football Ground, are you talking the same memory as I am , before she was Queen.??

Was it in fact 1951/52?

Gary Marshman

Sorry Gary I,m not sure I only went the one time did you remember the kids display when you went?.:confused::huh:

Old tup,

Do you know , I believe there was a childrens display, for the then Princess Elizabeth .

Its a long time ago and I was a mere 7 or 8 years old , and not particularly interested , as one was not at that age anyway.

Gary Marshman