'Looking for people' threads

Just a request really - people sometimes post threads on here asking if anyone knows someone's whereabouts, old friends, relatives etc. I'm sure most of these are genuine, but in my line of work I know that quite a few people move to escape violence, often domestic violence, some of it very serious, and don't want to be traced. So just be mindful before you give someone's whereabouts and make sure they don't mind.

thanks

I've thought about this before, I know I wouldn't want people telling people where I live.

And can you imagine if someone is looking for an ex with not nice intentions and someone tells them where they live or helps them find out.

Scary stuff.

Agreed. For the reasons given by the above posters trace requests should not be allowed on the forum in my view. I have most of my contact details in my sig for commerical reasons that's my choice, the potential risks posed by people posting trace requests for supposed inocuous reasons are too damaging.

Mods do often remind people to make sure they have the persons permission, and not to give out specific details to anyone without thoroughly checking, but I bet loads of people are just like "OH YEAH I KNOW HER!!" and run straight to PM the poster with every detail they know

I don't see the problem. If someone wants to trace someone and they obtain the information legally and the is no criminal intent, then all well and good.

And what if there is?

Is it really worth the risk? I know of one person who could if he decided try and find my address, and it wouldn't end well. So the thought that someone could randomly decide on here that they know who I am and tell that person where I live, is quite scary.