Council tax arrears

Having trouble paying my council tax, had a letter and got to appear at Sheffield Magistrates Court 150612 or pay full amount now. How? If I can't afford to pay it in instalments, how can I pay it all in one go? Paid £140 towards it last Tuesday.

What will happen to me? I have never owed Council Tax before, all council tax paid up fully through the years. I've no doubt they will get all their money this year, just not as quickly as they would like. Oops!!

You can set up a payment arrangement, if they tell you that you can't they're lying!! You might have to go to court if they've already set a date, but get your figures together and come up with a reasonable payment plan and most judges will agree to that when they see that youre paying what you can afford. Don't let them scare you or intimidate you with court letters. It may take a while to get through to them what you want to do and what you can afford because quite frankly most of the staff on the end of the phone don't care a bit or are too thick to understand what you are proposing, but stick to you guns. Following my partners redundancy a few years back and almost a year of unemployment, we had built up quite a high amount of arrears, they tried same with us, intimidating letters etc, but we eventually got them to agree to a payment plan that we proposed and never had to attend the court date etc. Just make sure that if you do get something agreed it is what you really can afford, and make sure you stick to it. Miss one payment and they'll be dragging you back t court again.

Having trouble paying my council tax, had a letter and got to appear at Sheffield Magistrates Court 150612 or pay full amount now. How? If I can't afford to pay it in instalments, how can I pay it all in one go? Paid £140 towards it last Tuesday.

What will happen to me? I have never owed Council Tax before, all council tax paid up fully through the years. I've no doubt they will get all their money this year, just not as quickly as they would like. Oops!!

I thought you can just ring them and explain your situation.They will then just incorporate a lttle more onto your original payments per month.

Feel lucky you don't live in Leeds

'Pay your council tax or we take your kids'