Smoking In Peace Gardens

SHOULD PART OF THE PEACE GARDENS BE MADE SMOKE FREE.  

153 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD PART OF THE PEACE GARDENS BE MADE SMOKE FREE.

• Yes it would be a good idea to make PARTS OF the gardens a smoke free zone..
    • No the Peace Gardens are fine as they are.

And...After all these posts, you can still go and have a smoke in the Peace Gardens ;)

Ask a random sample of 1000 people if they smoke.

It has to be genuinely random, and there has to be no reason to lie. But with such a simple and clear cut question there's no massive scope for creating leading questions or interpreting the data creatively.

You might have to define "smokes" for a few people. Do you count someone who quit yesterday as a smoker, someone who quit a month ago, someone who only smokes when they go out on a Friday, etc... Document the definition so as not to be misleading anyone and then work out the %.

The method you describe, is full of caviats. It's not possible to truly have a random sample of 1000 people or however many!

Ok, I walk down the main pub and club district of any town in the uk and randomly ask 1000 people on a Friday night if they smoke. Chances are, that a seriously high percentage will be, because they can't smoke inside.

Conversely, I take another 1000 people in a random sample in the same area at 10:00am in the morning, and you get a totally different result.

The point is, the poll can me manipulated to suit the pollsters objectives and motives.

And...After all these posts, you can still go and have a smoke in the Peace Gardens ;)

Of course, just be considerate of those around you.

Some folk on here are arrogant enough to think that Sheffield Forum is the be-all and end all when it comes to votes and polls.

It's hardly a true representation, is it?

Expand your worlds, people.

The poll here is a) too small to be significant and b) your assumption would be wrong, I voted for no change and I've never smoked.

Precisely. See how easy it is for statistics to be distorted? I did say that assumptions are made all the time in whatever poll.

May I ?

I worked in a tobacconist last year and decided to do a survey.

Would you believe, 100% of the population smoke?

According to my survey, everyone I asked, smoked.

:rolleyes:

May I ?

I worked in a tobacconist last year and decided to do a survey.

Would you believe, 100% of the population smoke?

According to my survey, everyone I asked, smoked.

:rolleyes:

Maybe you'll get a call from the ONS, they'll be fascinated.

Of course, just be considerate of those around you.

I'll be very considerate...I don't smoke, but wouldn't castigate those who do.

I personally think smoking should be banned in public outright but, I was sat in the peace gardens today and the amount of stinking smokers billowing out poison on there is ridiculous.

Trying to relax with a sandwich, loads of young kids about and you're all getting a face full of smoke from the bottom of a strangers lungs?

Urgh, horrible. If only the council could designate that little grassy area on the peace gardens behind the metal balls or something for people who want to smoke and they can all intoxicate each other.

Smoking in the Peace Gardens displays a distinct lack of common courtesy and smokers wonder why they're constantly demonised.

I hate smoking myself so can.t stand being around fag smoke and would happly see them banned.

The method you describe, is full of caviats. It's not possible to truly have a random sample of 1000 people or however many!

It's really easy to have a truly random sample, it's completely random if I just stand on the street and ask people. What you probably mean is that the random sample may not be representative of the country as a whole.

Ok, I walk down the main pub and club district of any town in the uk and randomly ask 1000 people on a Friday night if they smoke. Chances are, that a seriously high percentage will be, because they can't smoke inside.

Conversely, I take another 1000 people in a random sample in the same area at 10:00am in the morning, and you get a totally different result.

The point is, the poll can me manipulated to suit the pollsters objectives and motives.

Both random, but the former not representative.

I have no friends that smoke, and I don't want any.

Do you have any friends that don't smoke?

It's really easy to have a truly random sample, it's completely random if I just stand on the street and ask people. What you probably mean is that the random sample may not be representative of the country as a whole.

Both random, but the former not representative.

Well.....Your premise would be to ask 1000 people, and then it's truly random. But it depends on a plethora of if's and but's. What time of day, what town, whether it's an affluent town or socially deprived town. There's a whole raft of factors that can skew the result. What I'm saying is, that if I want, I can manipulate whatever results there are, by applying my own rules, which are biased to my required outcome. Hope that makes sense! :)

Oh and you're right, it wouldn't be representative of the whole country, and trying to extrapolate country-wide data is even more frought!

Edited by PeteMorris