Smoking In Peace Gardens

SHOULD PART OF THE PEACE GARDENS BE MADE SMOKE FREE.  

153 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD PART OF THE PEACE GARDENS BE MADE SMOKE FREE.

• Yes it would be a good idea to make PARTS OF the gardens a smoke free zone..
    • No the Peace Gardens are fine as they are.

Hmm, my point is that smokers stink.

If you can smell car and bus fumes from Pinstone street in the Peace Gardens then, I'm afraid to say...you're a dog.

So unless you eat your meals in the middle of the road, again, I can't see the point you're trying to make.

Do you eat in the Peace Gardens when it's piddling down or is it just because it's sunny? Fumes from cars rise BTW don't just stay at ground level so your reference to dogs is silly. I am a non-smoker but there is no law against people smoking outside. Yu know what it's like in peace gardens and you CHOOSE to go there. Smoking is not going to get banned because it generates too much revenue

I'm an ex smoker (20+ a day habit for over 30 years) and I still quite enjoy the whiff of a newly lit cig. However, I wouldn't sit near someone who is smoking, and I loathe the smell of stale cigarette smoke, just as I hate other unpleasant smells in enclosed spaces like the tram or bus. :gag: I don't complain, I just move. ;)

My parents and in-laws smoked, as did my husband and most of our friends when we were young. Not one of our family or friends smokes nowadays. Most of the younger ones never started, and our generation have all quit - mainly due to the raised awareness of the damage that smoking can do. So whilst I understand older people finding it hard to quit, I do wonder why so many young people start nowadays? Anyone on a limited income who smokes branded cigs, must be depriving themselves of necessities to be able to afford what has become an expensive luxury.

as an ex smoker i think get a life

Good morning preacher!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shakes:

do people still get absolutley drunk? yes

do people still eat junk food? yes

alcaholics and obesity is more of a strain on nhs than smokers. you dont see a smoker demanding a tummy tuck, or a liver or kidney transplant.

smokers know what they are doing, but for those who keep dissing it, it is AN ADDICTION for which there is limited help with. do they send smokers to rehab or boot camps no, get to docs, talk about smoking in a group for an hour....makes you want another cig!!!

you dont see smokers handing cigs to minors..(those that do should be burnt alive imo) you do see fat humpalumpas taking their kids into maccy d's for tea. you also see drinkers letting kids drink aswell as hang out in pubs (18+) and showing them its ok to eat junk and get drunk... oh but dont smoke its bad for you.

HYPOCRITICAL BRITAIN, love it.

Think you missed the point a bit, this was regarding passive smoke which affects those around inhaling it but it was outside in public place. The other two examples don't affect complete strangers - nobody mentioned NHS

That's only the uneducated ones.

Are you saying students are thick as mince?

That would normally leave more choice for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, even smokers are addicted to Hadfield's high quality.

Haha!

Why would it be unfortunate for Hadfields to enjoy smokers custom?

I think a little tact is needed on both parts.

Smokers - if you see someone eating their lunch, or sat with a small child etc, don't plonk yourself down next to them and light up.

Non smokers - If someone is having a fag, don't sit near them.

Surely its that simple...

Maybe we smokers should be all shipped out, and put on a desert island..you then can go on about something else like global warming and the damage pollution from cars etc are doing to the enviroment.Seriously to the op..Each to their own.

As a smoker ,i have already been shoved outdoors to enjoy a cig by the health police , so to then have someone whinging about people smoking outside is laughable.

it's an entirely legit point of view and not a justification more a point of highlighting hypocrisy.

It's neither.

Cars are not a bad habit, they're an essential form of transport, and one which is constantly being targeted to reduce pollution.

You don't smoke but you drive a car (normal petrol car) then you complain about the smell and the danger of cigarette smoke your a hypocrite.

Not unless I'm running my car simply to enhale the fumes and dislike it when anyone else complains.

no if's no but's. you have no moral highground to preach to smokers about the smell and quality of 'your' air

I completely do, because an essential means of transport causes pollution it does not justify an addiction.

Any non smoker who does that should be.... er ashamed.

The peace gardens is a stones throw from about 400 buses a day that idle for a while. cigarette smoke should be the least of yor worries hanging around there.

I haven't actually complained about either, I'd only be concerned if the smoker or the bus were indoors.

non car driver non smokers are allowed to chastise either group they please :)

But only if they never use anything that burns fuel, including electricity.

No, smoking is not a key part of life, it's just a habit.

I personally think smoking should be banned in public outright but, I was sat in the peace gardens today and the amount of stinking smokers billowing out poison on there is ridiculous.

Trying to relax with a sandwich, loads of young kids about and you're all getting a face full of smoke from the bottom of a strangers lungs?

Urgh, horrible. If only the council could designate that little grassy area on the peace gardens behind the metal balls or something for people who want to smoke and they can all intoxicate each other.

Smoking in the Peace Gardens displays a distinct lack of common courtesy and smokers wonder why they're constantly demonised.

I agree with you 100 per cent. It is a disgrace. Yet they do have a right to smoke.

Edited by hello1964

Forumsaurus seems to have do runner..........