Warning: waterbutts & pets / animals

crossposted by request from the pets section:

If you or your neighbours have a water butt - please could you ensure that the hinged lid cannot collaspe inwards?

My cat went missing & I followed her pitiful meowing to a neighbours water butt.

The weight of the water had distorted the hinged lid so that when she'd jumped on it, it collasped inwards & she ended up in the water & couldn't get out as the sides are too smooth.

Luckily the neigbours had used most of the water but it was deep enough to nearly cover her. I dread to think of the consquences if it had rained recently.

My water butt lid is the kind that has a hinged lid & I could see this problem occuring - so I covered it securely years ago.

Please check your water butts.

Thanks

Christina

Can you provide a loving home for a rescue kittie ? Rain Rescue Cats

Free/cheap cat neutering please look here Link

Maybe you'd be better contacting the water butt suppliers?

Mine has a separate lid but was over £30, I wouldn't pay to change it just in case a cat decides to jump on it whilst they're visiting my garden.

This is what I've got:

http://www.rsankey.com/conservation-products/Water-Butts/210L-Standard-Water-Butt/1200

The lid clips into the butt, it's not hinged.

I'd proffer that lots of people have water butts by this manufacturer so I'd be surprised if this design is a problem for cats. Kids can't easily climb on my water butt unless they use a ladder so I don't think they are in danger. They could climb on to my garage, then jump on to my glass greenhouse and then the water butt though. The greenhouse would give in first though.

Can you share a picture or a link of the problem water butt, then we'll know what to avoid when we either buy or replace?

Maybe you'd be better contacting the water butt suppliers?

Mine has a separate lid but was over £30, I wouldn't pay to change it just in case a cat decides to jump on it whilst they're visiting my garden.

actually that's not a bad idea, I wonder if they've ever had any feedback before. I'll suggest it to the OP, thanks.

I didn't realise that some of the lids were flexible, the butt lids I've seen in the past have always appeared to be solid

Can you provide a loving home for a rescue kittie ? Rain Rescue Cats

Free/cheap cat neutering please look here Link

• 1 month later...

Lucky that you found your cat in time.

Could I also say that using water from water butts, especially plastic ones, for animals, poultry etc to drink from is not a good idea. Larvae occur in this water which is effectively stagnant and can cause all types of health problems, some of which can prove fatal.