Are delivery companies always this useless?

A bit of a rant but thought I'd share this.......

So I was expecting a delivery last Thursday between 7:30 and 5:30. I tracked the parcel and all seemed OK. However, when it got to around 4ish I checked again and I got the message along the lines of unable to deliver as address incorrect!

So the wife called the company supplying the product, as the rest of the message directed, and they were told by the delivery company that someone had put the wrong address or something into their (delivery company's) system or similar. So on the parcel it had the correct house no. of 89 but on their system it read as 88. So it was not delivered as there were 2 possible addresses.

So a delivery was made for the next day, Friday. However (and this is my fault I accept) we missed the delivery due to me having to be somewhere else for 30 mins and not being able to get someone to take in the delivery. As I said, that's my fault but having stayed in now for 2 days I chanced it. On the other hand if someone was doing their job correctly then I wouldn't have to wait in at all. I would have instructed them to leave it on the back but was not aware of this option at this time and I'm not too keen on doing this anyway.

I called the delivery company to re-arrange, explaining to them that this was not in fact the 2nd attempt as per the card as on Thursday they made no attempt at all. The lady was really helpful and arranged delivery for Monday between the usual times.

I had to be out again for half hour but got someone to sit in to take the delivery. Anyway, I got back and the delivery was still not here so I checked the tracking info and this didn't look too good. I called them to see what was happening and was told although the delivery was put through correctly on Friday the depot had forgotten to put the items on the van!

The person I spoke to was not really bothered so I contacted the company supplying the item and they managed to get me a delivery pre 12pm the next day (today) which was great.

So today I tracked the item (several times this time) and noticed that the consignment number had changed so entered this. Now, instead of the 2 items that appeared in the previous consignment number, there was only 1. I was hoping this was a mistake, however, I think we all know where this is leading.

So, on receiving the delivery today I was only given 1 item out of 2 meaning that half of my delivery is still missing. I know you're probably wondering why I didn't call as soon as I saw only 1 item on the tracking info but I don't think this would have helped as my previous conversations with the delivery company give me impression they're not that bothered and any problem can be rectified simply by shipping it out the next day so I can stay in again wondering what was going to happen this time.

I'm still waiting for the company who are providing me with the product to get back to me but it looks like I'll be spending another day in guessing what is going to happen this time.

Sorry again for the long rant :)

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes. Furthermore, any company which uses anything other than Royal Mail / Parcel Force for domestic deliveries should be burnt to the ground.

jb

A bit harsh lol

I've just called the company that's providing the product and authorised for it to be left outside.

Like I explained to them though the delivery company is just unwilling to meet halfway. The pre PM delivery I got today was denied to me yesterday by the delivery company but as soon as I got the other company onto them it was allowed.

I've always been in customer service and if you've made a mistake you do your best to make sure the customer is inconvenienced as little as possible due to that mistake.

I know why people rant now - even if no-one reads the rant it's far better than having to try and explain to the company why they should rectify the problem even if it does leave them a little inconvenienced.

An old thread of mine (2005) on another Forum, about DHL (was in Ireland at the time).

For your reading pleasure and amusement - make a cuppa (it's a long one) and please excuse the language at the beginning (I was very mad...and the language tones down completely after the first few posts, promise) ;)

Edited by L00b

So I was expecting a delivery last Thursday between 7:30 and 5:30.

Why oh why do these companies assume that people are actually going to be around and available from 07:30 to 17:30!

I would have to have an entire day off work to do that! It's ridiculous.

When I had Virgin install my BB a while ago, they tried that one or something like it. In the end they agreed to phone me on my mobile 20 mins before getting there. They did, while I was at work.. left work, got home just in time to meet the guy at the house. No problems! That's how it should be!

An old thread of mine (2005) on another Forum, about DHL (was in Ireland at the time).

For your reading pleasure and amusement - make a cuppa (it's a long one) and please excuse the language at the beginning (I was very mad...and the language tones down completely after the first few posts, promise) ;)

Thanks for the warning - I'll take a look later :)

Why oh why do these companies assume that people are actually going to be around and available from 07:30 to 17:30!

I would have to have an entire day off work to do that! It's ridiculous.

When I had Virgin install my BB a while ago, they tried that one or something like it. In the end they agreed to phone me on my mobile 20 mins before getting there. They did, while I was at work.. left work, got home just in time to meet the guy at the house. No problems! That's how it should be!

That's the experience I've had in the past with some companies. They'll phone around 30mins before or at the very least give you an option of AM or PM.

To to top things off my wife went to work by taxi as I usually drop her at work.

About 2 roads from her work he decided to weave and snake his way through loads of back streets adding to the journey. At one point he was actually travelling away from her place of work despite being around the corner and she didn't have a clue where they were despite being about 2 mins from work. £14 for the pleasure. It was the 1st time she was actually glad to get work lol.

It's a sad world when even taxi drivers cannot be relied on.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes. Furthermore, any company which uses anything other than Royal Mail / Parcel Force for domestic deliveries should be burnt to the ground.

jb

Snail Mail/ Pacel Farce you mean. I spend over £200,000 a year though our parcel carrier and think I get a very good service. Sending so many out you expect problems from time to time plus EVERY parcel carrier will tell you that they can only get 95% to 98% of deliveries with no problems.

Edited by kermit103

Snail Mail/ Pacel Farce you mean. I spend over £200,000 a year though our parcel carrier and think I get a very good service. Sending so many out you expect problems from time to time plus EVERY parcel carrier will tell you that they can only get 95% to 98% of deliveries with no problems.

The advantage of RM/PF for domestic deliveries is that not only do they deliver on Saturdays but undelivered parcels go to your local sorting office. Great for those of us who work all week and can't take time off to wait for a parcel to not arrive. With private couriers there are no Saturday deliveries and undelivered parcels end up miles away in an industrial park in Rotherham.

jb