Speed cameras on Twentywell Lane

I've seen that trap a few times as I've passed through, and I've always managed to negotiate it with no problems.

I manage to get up steep hills without having to "boot it". It's easy. You just drop a gear...

Edited by perplexed

That's a strange one! My names Tom Makinson and I own the Greengrocers/florist at the top of Twentwell Lane. I've seen the speed trap there a few times but never with his camera in the road. Seems a bit daft considering quite a few people come down at speed, It's difficult to stop if someone was going around him.

Twentywell Lane is one of those roads where it's easy to go fast. I probably drive too quick up it with the exception of the blind bend (the one just before Twentywell Rise). A customer of mine was knocked over there and was in a bad way for a long time. Where exactly was the bike parked? on the grass? was he closer to Twentywell Road or the corner I mentioned? Most bike coppers have a lot of common sense, especially when it comes to road safety so I'm surprised he had his camera in the road.

I can count at least 3 customers who came in the shop today saying they've been "nicked" haha.

The speed trap was in the road, causing a hazard, i.e with its location, anyone who was speeding would have hit the trap.

The police officer said it had been proven to be safe - which means there was no need to set a speed trap up there. Thats the thread, nobody moaning about being caught.

Possibly proven safe to set up the camera, not proven to be safe generally as Mr Makinson's customer's situation would seem to indicate.

I cycle up there sometimes on a circular route, and the number of times I've been passed by cars doing silly speeds is incredible. There have been a couple of occasions when I've heard some very hasty and hard brake application when some fool has come flying round the bend and not expected to see anyone else...

Oh god here we go again. Post after post

:cry:... I got caught speeding and its just sooo unfair

:cry:..... they always pick pointless spots which aren't dangerous

:cry:...... these enforcement officers have no common sense

:cry:... why dont they get out there and catch real criminals.

blah blah blah.

Dont speed. You wont pay the fine.

Perfectly simple.

What a pity theres an extra o in your name after the letter n.:hihi::hihi:

If you lose the concept and mindset that the words police, law and justice can sit in the same sentence then it probably makes more sense .

Police tend to apply the law - usually having created the circumstances to allow the law to be applied by the police. - That it seems is what the work in progress is here.

You probably dont have the option of being a shareholder in South Yorkshires finest via council tax - (I asked that the police contribution portion of my council tax be donated to charity until a currupt offficer engineering my imprisonment is removed from the force) - No facility available so i get to pay for my own personal police harasser - how cool is that ?.

If you have a big enough wallet or friends in the right places you may be able to get justice otherwise you are stuck with the law.

Obey the law to avoid the police in the main and dont try to evaluate their tactics on their stagemanaged project speed (safety) as the production team will always edit the final cut.

Has anyone got an old banger that wouldn't mind a few scratches? Maybe they should run in to it just to prove it isn't safe!

Oh god here we go again. Post after post

:cry:... I got caught speeding and its just sooo unfair

:cry:..... they always pick pointless spots which aren't dangerous

:cry:...... these enforcement officers have no common sense

:cry:... why dont they get out there and catch real criminals.

blah blah blah.

Dont speed. You wont pay the fine.

Perfectly simple.

I know they dont seem to understand the concept of the speed limit do they. They even say its a tax. Well I would say its a voluntary tax ie volunteer to pay it by speeding.

As for why dont they get out there and catch real criminals. Isnt killing someone a criminal offence enough for people. Which speeding may cause.

Where's the fun in that.

I always make sure i slow down to the speed limit before i reach speed cameras, as im a good law abiding motorist.:)

i speed alot of the time (not excessivly), i have 10 years no claims and currently no points........... maybe im the exception to the rule?? but then im a good observant driver with motorsport experience. which most people are not.

I don't care what anyone says about speeding, I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

i speed alot of the time (not excessivly), i have 10 years no claims and currently no points........... maybe im the exception to the rule?? but then im a good observant driver with motorsport experience. which most people are not.

After 45 years driving it's almost 16 years since I had any points - I daren't tempt fate by discussing whether a mere 10 year no claims bonus is fair. I've made errors, no doubt saved by good luck and the evasive action of others. Many a time other drivers have been saved by my actions - but that's all normal driving.

However, we're talking about Twentywell Lane. A road that is neither straight nor level.

I drove down earlier today. For those unfamiliar with the layout it starts from the junction with Bradway Road at the top, with a pedestrian crossing very near the junction. This point is the most dangerous according to statistics, with 4 minor and one serious accident in the 6 year period 2005-10.

Shops then line the left hand side with offset parking. It's level, but some of the antics of drivers here are dangerous - thankfully any accidents are too minor to be recorded due to very slow speeds.

After the shops is the turning on the left for Kenwell Drive where the exit sight line can be obscured by parked cars. One slight accident was reported in the 6 year period.

The road then goes over the brow of the hill and descends quite steeply under trees. One slight accident has been recorded on that stretch.

There's a slight left bend as the road approaches the flat section from where Twentywell Road joins on the left. Surprisingly, no accidents are reported here.

The virtually level section past Twentywell Rise to the right is where speeds are possibly highest, and no accidents have been reported. Understandably, this is the section where the police normally monitor with their equipment.

The only serious accident on Twentywell Lane in the 6 year period occurred at the end of this stretch where the road bends to the right and starts another fairly steep descent. Anyone coming up will be unable to see any obstacle around the corner.

No other accidents were reported on the twisting section continuing down over the railway bridges to Abbeydale Road South. Accidents at this corner show as only 2 minor in the 6 year period.

Today, there were so many warning signs for various works on both sides of the road that there can't have been any room for the police. Traffic was calmed anyway.

From my house I can hear vehicles accelerate from the bottom and attack the hills in rally mode. It happens every day, mostly at times the police aren't about.

Mr Makinson says "I can count at least 3 customers who came in the shop today saying they've been "nicked" haha. I'm not sure if the customers are saying "ha ha", or him, but we can all make misjudgements at any time. (He also said "I probably drive too quick up it.") As murran implies, we all exceed the limit occasionally, none of us are perfect.

And yes, I do wonder about the proportionate use of scarce resources when a look at the crash map indicates more serious accident hot spots, see; http://crashmap.co.uk/Search

Edited by 1978

I always make sure i slow down to the speed limit before i reach speed cameras, as im a good law abiding motorist.:)

Good lad :thumbsup:

i know twentywell lane very well as i used to live in totley from the age of 5 up to 21. i also used to delivery curries for the balti ghar on totley rise in my car from being 18 till 20.

i too used to attack it in "rally mode" in my mk1 golf i had at the time lol.

the only bad accident i had on there was on my mountain bike when i was 15.......

was coming down the top steep section.... i looked behind me to see where my mate was and rode straight into the curb! like so many times when i fell off, i ended up on the floor in pain!

im 31 now btw to give you an idea of time scale.