Speed cameras on Twentywell Lane

For those who know the S17 area of Sheffield, you should be familiar with Twentywell Lane. You'll also know that the police have a habit of setting up a speed trap just before the turning on to St Quinton Drive by the Castle Pub.

Today there was such a trap. But the police officer (on a bike) decided to set up his speed trap about 50m from the turning with his tripod located on the road. I stopped to query whether this was a good idea as traffic would need to go around him as the turning, right, was immediately after where he was.

His response was "this has been risked assess as being safe"...if that is the case...WHY THE SPEED CAMERA IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Please feel to spread the word on this...I was gob smacked!

That's a strange one! My names Tom Makinson and I own the Greengrocers/florist at the top of Twentwell Lane. I've seen the speed trap there a few times but never with his camera in the road. Seems a bit daft considering quite a few people come down at speed, It's difficult to stop if someone was going around him.

Twentywell Lane is one of those roads where it's easy to go fast. I probably drive too quick up it with the exception of the blind bend (the one just before Twentywell Rise). A customer of mine was knocked over there and was in a bad way for a long time.

Where exactly was the bike parked? on the grass? was he closer to Twentywell Road or the corner I mentioned? Most bike coppers have a lot of common sense, especially when it comes to road safety so I'm surprised he had his camera in the road.

I can count at least 3 customers who came in the shop today saying they've been "nicked" haha.

Bike parked on the road, as was his tripod, which is why I stopped (like you, i've seen them up there a few times)

In your defense, you have to accelerate to get up the steep bit, you refer to, before you get to the flat where he was waiting. So there should be no surprise that drivers are doing over 30 as they hit the flat bit.

I suspect the police know this which is why they are always there!

Bike parked on the road, as was his tripod, which is why I stopped (like you, i've seen them up there a few times)

In your defense, you have to accelerate to get up the steep bit, you refer to, before you get to the flat where he was waiting. So there should be no surprise that drivers are doing over 30 as they hit the flat bit.

I suspect the police know this which is why they are always there!

They ain't daft. After all, they are in the business of crime ; )

They ain't daft. After all, they are in the business of crime ; )

Yes and don't forget the tv show bussiness side to it aswell.

Is doughnut eating classed as a profession? ;)

On 28th November 1996 I was coming up Twentywell. At that time I'd normally turn right to go up past The Castle. On this day I decided to buy my wife a bunch of flowers from Makinson's as she'd just got out of hospital. I put my foot down to climb the hill.

Saw a police officer and wondered what was the problem. Slowed off as his arm went up. Couldn't believe his attitude. Clearly I was driving a posh car and he was out in the freezing cold. Apart from him there was nobody about, on the road or pavement.

At that time such speed traps were more rare and I genuinely thought there must have been some problem. I'd clearly seen him, and had been able to pull up without any difficulty. He was sarcastic. The most expensive bunch of flowers I've ever bought!

And the irony is that the most dangerous thing about this stretch of road is from traffic coming down the hill, not up. Their sight line is far inferior on the slight bend, making them less able to see traffic turning in or out towards The Castle. It's also much harder for them to stop.

Common sense has little to do with speed limit enforcement.

Oh god here we go again. Post after post

:cry:... I got caught speeding and its just sooo unfair

:cry:..... they always pick pointless spots which aren't dangerous

:cry:...... these enforcement officers have no common sense

:cry:... why dont they get out there and catch real criminals.

blah blah blah.

Dont speed. You wont pay the fine.

Perfectly simple.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It's not difficult to stick to speed limits really is it? People who moan about speed limits are the same people who have an accident and can't work out why.....

It's not difficult to stick to speed limits really is it? People who moan about speed limits are the same people who have an accident and can't work out why.....

If you read the op it wasn't moaning about speed traps it was about it being in the road causing a hazard :rolleyes:

Oh god here we go again. Post after post

:cry:... I got caught speeding and its just sooo unfair

:cry:..... they always pick pointless spots which aren't dangerous

:cry:...... these enforcement officers have no common sense

:cry:... why dont they get out there and catch real criminals.

blah blah blah.

Dont speed. You wont pay the fine.

Perfectly simple.

Where's the fun in that.

The speed trap was in the road, causing a hazard, i.e with its location, anyone who was speeding would have hit the trap.

The police officer said it had been proven to be safe - which means there was no need to set a speed trap up there. Thats the thread, nobody moaning about being caught.