Origin Broadband, praise when its needed!

john22rob

Hi all,

I joined Origin 1st May after the long wait as most people did who signed up early this year. I instantly got exactly what it said on the tin, 24meg down and 2meg up. Ping was a constant 29ms.

I use my internet for Gaming so a 29ms is not good enough, bandwidth is wasted on me really as i don't do much downloading.

I have had numerous phone conversations with Origin from day 5 asking to reduce my ping somehow. They really have bent over backwards to help but no such luck.

To cut a long story short, after an hour and half of tests and tweaking, Peter and Oliver have got me the following results pinging to google in command prompt

Packets: Sent = 9, Received = 9, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 16ms

JD's auto tester, Down 23.7mbs, up 1.97mbs and ping 16ms

pingtest.net shows a mere 12ms ping lol

The fastest ping speeds i have seen so far on the DR network and nearly half of what i started on.

A big thumbs up to Origin and i have my first referral coming your way as soon as my friend receives his MAC.

Apologies but i don't know how to add screen shots.

Too true, but on a capped 24Mbit connection, unless you are a LONG way from the cabinet, there should be no reason not to optimise the connection for low latency.

People seem to forget that 15ms of lag means 15ms delay for every DNS lookup, every http connection. You can visibly see web pages load up quicker on a lower latency connection and it should also make obtaining top speeds for downloads easier.

Pages START to load the instant you press the key, but I can assure you that it takes time to load every element on the page and you CAN tell when the latency allows it to happen faster.

Although you are a right about adverts, quite often I find they are what lag pages down as the advert servers get totally overloaded.

Too true, but on a capped 24Mbit connection, unless you are a LONG way from the cabinet, there should be no reason not to optimise the connection for low latency.

People seem to forget that 15ms of lag means 15ms delay for every DNS lookup, every http connection. You can visibly see web pages load up quicker on a lower latency connection and it should also make obtaining top speeds for downloads easier.

You can detect 15ms of latency whilst web browsing? I would agree with this if you were comparing a 3G connection to a fixed line but 15ms....not so sure.

Why not?

People notice the lag difference in FPS games so why would sensing that things are appearing on the screen quicker be any different?

Because it's nothing. And every website could potentially be hosted somewhere with different latency to the last. That must wreak havoc with your amazingly accurate timing senses?

It would be interesting to see exactly what kind of differences you noticed in a blind test