What is Microsoft up to now..

The Pope is the only person in the world that can afford one of those Surface table thingamyjigs. So 4.5 million copies of Office shouldn't be a big deal.

"Christian Ubuntu Edition" How does that work then? Won't they have a problem with daemons?

This!

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/05/25/vatican_microsoft/

I wonder if a student mentions GNU/Linux (Christian Ubuntu Edition!) they will get ex-communicated?:hihi:

Lots of poorer, largely catholic, countries - particularly in South America (Brazil being one), are looking to use open source software to save money and to help develop indigenous software industries. Microsoft are obviously trying to get the Catholic church to indoctrinate their followers for them.

Maybe Steve Balmer needs to update that old jesuit saying:

Give me the boy at seven and he'll use Windows when he's a man.

Doesn't work though, I used Amiga when I was 10, Windows when I was 14 and Linux when I was 30.

Besides, this is about Office in the cloud which presumably can be accessed from ANY OS.

Seriously though, if modernising means switching to cloud computing then I will stick with the stone age thanks. I like to know where my data is and who is accessing it.

In fact I tend to keep important data in text documents locally purely down to the fact I want to be able to access them even if my Internet goes down, Googles servers crap themselves again or Microsoft have the mad urge to completely drop the service I was using.

I think its crazy that people put so much trust in third-parties for their data, and I'm not an overly paranoid person in that respect as I still use Google and Facebook. The point is those services have their place, but I'm not about to put all my important documents on them.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Doesn't work though, I used Amiga when I was 10, Windows when I was 14 and Linux when I was 30.

Besides, this is about Office in the cloud which presumably can be accessed from ANY OS.

Seriously though, if modernising means switching to cloud computing then I will stick with the stone age thanks. I like to know where my data is and who is accessing it.

In fact I tend to keep important data in text documents locally purely down to the fact I want to be able to access them even if my Internet goes down, Googles servers crap themselves again or Microsoft have the mad urge to completely drop the service I was using.

I think its crazy that people put so much trust in third-parties for their data, and I'm not an overly paranoid person in that respect as I still use Google and Facebook. The point is those services have their place, but I'm not about to put all my important documents on them.

I must be a late developer - I got my first Amiga (which I still have! A1500) when I was 20 something!:hihi: Totally agree with your cloud comments.