Missing the old Lido days.

Just out of interest, is there anywhere around that people do swim outside - perhaps a reservoir or river or something.

I know the elf and safety brigade would frown at such a question but nonetheless I'd be interested in knowing.

there were loads of kids, all ages in the lakes at rother valley today, it must be ok because the staff don't seem to bother.

The reason why the Lido got shut, and the Paddling pools down Rivelin are nearly always shut, is vandalism! The local Chavs can't behave themselves and vandalise facilities that are for their benefit! :rant:

I think you'll find the vandalism was caused by ordinary local kids and not as you say chavs.

I think you'll find the vandalism was caused by ordinary local kids and not as you say chavs.

Why could the ordinary local kids not be chavs?

Because they probably live in S11 or S17, the "posh" end of Town :D

Just out of interest, is there anywhere around that people do swim outside - perhaps a reservoir or river or something.

I know the elf and safety brigade would frown at such a question but nonetheless I'd be interested in knowing.

There's a nice pool at Chatsworth for swimming. It's on a dammed part of the Derwent, which I think is the old mill pond for the derelict mill near the far end (from Sheffield) car park.

Here it is - http://wildswim.com/river-derwent-chatsworth-park

Edited by Nagel

There's a nice pool at Chatsworth for swimming. It's on a dammed part of the Derwent, which I think is the old mill pond for the derelict mill near the far end (from Sheffield) car park.

Here it is - http://wildswim.com/river-derwent-chatsworth-park

Excellent, I'll check this place out if the nice weather continues. It looks like a place in Knaresborough we used to go to on hot days.

The reason why the Lido got shut, and the Paddling pools down Rivelin are nearly always shut, is vandalism! The local Chavs can't behave themselves and vandalise facilities that are for their benefit! :rant:

what a load of b******ks the Lido got shut due to lack of council funding, it was well used and well looked after, there was the odd over the wall escapade by a few kids one or twice who threw sunloungers in but hardly vandalism on a large scale:loopy: i remember the summer of 76 nearly the whole of silverdale school was at the Lido all wagging it in that very hot summer, then everyone diving into the pool when a group of teachers came looking for us....happy days:hihi:

Some people just seem to want them to be chavs.

what a load of b******ks the Lido got shut due to lack of council funding, it was well used and well looked after, there was the odd over the wall escapade by a few kids one or twice who threw sunloungers in but hardly vandalism on a large scale:loopy: i remember the summer of 76 nearly the whole of silverdale school was at the Lido all wagging it in that very hot summer, then everyone diving into the pool when a group of teachers came looking for us....happy days:hihi:

we used to go there in 1977/78 when we wagged it from abbeydale grange and the teachers used to come and look for us there as well we jumped into the deep bit as well to avoid them

Excellent, I'll check this place out if the nice weather continues. It looks like a place in Knaresborough we used to go to on hot days.

I used to swim here, as a kid, in the strip between the two weirs in the Lido Caravan Park at Knaresborough. I well remember spending most of my holidays in that summer of 76, in the water, there... it was BLISS!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Lido+Caravan+Park,+Wetherby+Road,+Knaresborough&hl=en&ll=53.997995,-1.449155&spn=0.004957,0.009645&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=20.488956,39.506836&oq=lido+Caravan+park+Knaresborough&t=h&hq=Lido+Caravan+Park,&hnear=Wetherby+Rd,+Harrogate,+North+Yorkshire+HG2,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.997995,-1.451204&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-23011548