Is it illegal to warn people about speed traps?

If you see a mobile speed trap while you are driving and tell someone else about it are you committing an offence? ...You think not?....Well actually a guy was prosecuted for " Obstructing the police officer in the execution of his duty" for doing just that! He stopped people from breaking the law and was dragged to court and heavily fined for doing so!.....How unbelievable is that? ....Do the police want people to speed or what?:rant:

I was actually pretty sure it wasn't illegal!

If you see a mobile speed trap while you are driving and tell someone else about it are you committing an offence? ...You think not?....Well actually a guy was prosecuted for " Obstructing the police officer in the execution of his duty" for doing just that! He stopped people from breaking the law and was dragged to court and heavily fined for doing so!.....How unbelievable is that? ....Do the police want people to speed or what?:rant:

Why do you think speed cameras are called piggy banks?

Of course they want people to speed.

Its free money.

I was actually pretty sure it wasn't illegal!

Legal or illegal i do it and will continue to do it.

I cannot do links, but his name was Michael Thomson. He was 64 years old at the time and had no previous criminal record. Would someone provide a link please.:)

If the police "wanted people to speed" they would remove the speed limit signs. What they want is to catch people who choose to ignore the signs.

I don't understand why this is confusing you. It's no more weird than a man being prosecuted because he goes up to a rapist and says "quick, you need to run away because the police will be here in two minutes." It's aiding and abetting an offence.

If the police "wanted people to speed" they would remove the speed limit signs. What they want is to catch people who choose to ignore the signs.

The police cant remove any signs.

If they could they would.

I don't understand why this is confusing you. It's no more weird than a man being prosecuted because he goes up to a rapist and says "quick, you need to run away because the police will be here in two minutes." It's aiding and abetting an offence.

If everyone was intent upon preventing criminal activity before it happened, there would be no crime. I cannot understand how you find that so difficult to comprehend.

The police cant remove any signs.

Don't be ridiculous. Anyone can remove a sign; all it takes is a hammer and a crowbar. I could do it myself.

If everyone was intent upon preventing criminal activity, there would be no crime. I cannot understand how you find that so difficult to comprehend.

I don't find that difficult to comprehend; that was exactly my point. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for trying to stop someone from breaking the speed limit; only for trying to help them get away with it.

I don't find that difficult to comprehend; that was exactly my point. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for trying to stop someone from breaking the speed limit; only for trying to help them get away with it.

If I tell someone about a speed trap, they will not speed while going through it. I would have prevented a crime from occurring and should be rewarded for doing it.

If we follow your reasoning and we see a would be mugger, we would let him badly beat and rob an old lady so that the police could catch him. How sad are you?:loopy:

If I tell someone about a speed trap, they will not speed while going through it. I would have prevented a crime from occurring and should be rewarded for doing it.

If we follow your reasoning and we see a would be mugger, we would let him badly beat and rob an old lady so that the police could catch him. How sad are you?:loopy:

Perfect sense.

That wont go down well on here though.