Longley Ave W Dump - picketing

Dispite what the web-site says Blackstock Road dump is shut today but beighton road one is open.

i phoned and they said that the web-site is wrong due to some getting full over the weekend and striking staff wont empty them.

i was informed that

Beighton Road and High Green are open.

all other are closed!

all should re-open tomorrow.

Woodhouse was open today although the entrance from the road was being picketed. Unusually there was a guy in a shirt and tie at the raised height barrier 'controlling' entry by very deliberately putting a traffic cone down in front of me as I approached. Told me that it was a 'bit busy' and I'd need to wait until it cleared however there would be people to assist me when I did get in. I saw a car leave and he then moved the cone, smiled and waved me through. I drove round to find the place deserted and two employees sitting waiting for me! As advised they very politely grabbed the heavy double mattress I had and chucked it in the skip. The service was very welcome but having used this recycling facility many many times it's normally a crowded free for all with no help offered! As I left, cars were queuing back onto the main road causing queues in both directions. Wonder if I'll get this personal service again on my next visit?

According to tonights star there has been some back peddling over the intended cuts in the dumps opening hours and staff numbers.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/green-scene/job-loss-plans-scaled-down-after-three-day-strikes-1-4591068

What beggers belief is that there are 26 workers and 13 foremen..... Yes , 13 foremen.:o Thats a foreman for every 2 workers. Unbelievable . A perfect example of the public sector wasting money . Also , it states that Blackstock road dump will be open for trade waste only on certain days. Now, since when did the dumps allow trade waste in .? Tradesmen are always refused entry to the dumps because they are trying to get rid of trade waste. Is this a WELCOME change in policy and a use of common sense ?

Ive popped into Deepcar dump today ,as i know one of the lads who works there ,and he tells me they are closed again this saturday ,sunday and next monday and tuesday as they are striking again. ........................ So get ready for fly tipping galore .:hihi:

What beggers belief is that there are 26 workers and 13 foremen..... Yes , 13 foremen.:o Thats a foreman for every 2 workers. Unbelievable . A perfect example of the public sector wasting money .

i thought it was a private sector company running this ?

i thought it was a private sector company running this ?

Who pays the private sector company for their services?

Beighton tip is closed today, on strike again. A guy stood at the gates said they were closed until Wednesday, but not sure how true it is, he looked a bit like a tramp, maybe he was just sleeping there.

Soooooooooooooo, where can I dump some rubbish???

Edited by Chris_B_1983
spelling error

Who pays the private sector company for their services?
whats that got to do with 2 employees to 1 foreman ? oh and council tax payers pay the private companies

was waiting 0ne hour to get in to blackstock road tip what a joke and found out they will be closed every tue wed and thurs so come weekend will be in a longer queue sheffield city council need to sort this out quick our city will be full of fly tippers

A link below regarding the new opening times for Sheffield Dumpit sites from 6th June 2012:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/reducingrecycling/recyclingcentres.html

And a link to a Veolia page regarding strike action:

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Sheffield/Alert-page-here/

The strike is about proposed cuts to jobs and services. The GMB says:

GMB – FIGHTING TO SAVE JOBS AND SERVICES IN SHEFFIELD

PLEASE HELP US IN OUR FIGHT TO SAFEGUARD SHEFFIELD’S RECYCLING SERVICES AND JOBS

The GMB are campaigning in Sheffield to keep your 5 Recycling Centres (DUMP IT SITES) open in the City. Current proposals will mean that these sites will close to the public through the week in June, but these closures will increase in the winter.

SOVA hold the current contract for running these sites, they won this through a Council/Veolia tender in January 2012. We are aware that their original bid was for £1 million per year but the Council and Veolia told them to cut their bid to just over £600,000. A request for information about the finances of this service through the Freedom of Information Act submitted by the GMB has revealed that the Council are paying Veolia over £941,000 per year for the service. We know that at least a further £900,000 is generated through the recycling operation itself.

We believe this service generates enough income to enable these sites to remain open to the public and maintain this excellent and vital recycling service at a time when general waste collections and green waste collections are being cut. Furthermore, the current proposals will not only see job losses but cuts to hours and pay for the workers on these sites, workers who are already amongst the lowest paid in the City.

Please sign our petition and write to your Councillors and MP’s if you agree and ask them: What are they doing to protect waste recycling in Sheffield?

I thought recycling was one of all the political parties tip top prioties!

The strike is about proposed cuts to jobs and services. The GMB says:

GMB – FIGHTING TO SAVE JOBS AND SERVICES IN SHEFFIELD

PLEASE HELP US IN OUR FIGHT TO SAFEGUARD SHEFFIELD’S RECYCLING SERVICES AND JOBS

The GMB are campaigning in Sheffield to keep your 5 Recycling Centres (DUMP IT SITES) open in the City. Current proposals will mean that these sites will close to the public through the week in June, but these closures will increase in the winter.

SOVA hold the current contract for running these sites, they won this through a Council/Veolia tender in January 2012. We are aware that their original bid was for £1 million per year but the Council and Veolia told them to cut their bid to just over £600,000. A request for information about the finances of this service through the Freedom of Information Act submitted by the GMB has revealed that the Council are paying Veolia over £941,000 per year for the service. We know that at least a further £900,000 is generated through the recycling operation itself.

We believe this service generates enough income to enable these sites to remain open to the public and maintain this excellent and vital recycling service at a time when general waste collections and green waste collections are being cut. Furthermore, the current proposals will not only see job losses but cuts to hours and pay for the workers on these sites, workers who are already amongst the lowest paid in the City.

Please sign our petition and write to your Councillors and MP’s if you agree and ask them: What are they doing to protect waste recycling in Sheffield?

you should add a link to this post regarding the petition :thumbsup: