Problem with Landlord

Hello All,

I hope somebody can help me. I am totally stressed out. My landlord has arranged a builder to do damp proofing in downstairs toilet. It was a big job - because he had take out all the plaster on the wall and re-plaster it. When he was doing the job he made a mess in the house. We have 3 years old daughter and did not help.

My question is: Since we had no hot water one night (because of the work) and we had dirty floor on the entrance floor (because they want to clean when they finish work, so they asked us to put a sheet over the floor to walk on) and no use of downstairs toilet and messy patio for 5-6 days,

Do we still have to pay the full rent?? (which is 700 pounds per month) What are the rules when landlord do repairs when you are still living in the house?

Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks

So you're complaining that your landlord actually sorted out an problems with the house and it inconvienced you for a day or two?

How much would it have inconvienced you if he refused to have the work done?

Hello,

You sound like a landlord:)

To be honest, I could have lived with the problem of a damp patch on the wall rather than having a building site in the house. I was inconvenienced a lot.

Thank you for your advice.

It depends on the wording of your tenancy agreement but it is likely there is a clause allowing the landlord access to carry out repairs so yes you still have to pay full rent. You could try asking him/her for an allowance but to be honest it sounds as though your inconvenience was minimal.

Hello All,

I hope somebody can help me. I am totally stressed out. My landlord has arranged a builder to do damp proofing in downstairs toilet. It was a big job - because he had take out all the plaster on the wall and re-plaster it. When he was doing the job he made a mess in the house. We have 3 years old daughter and did not help.

My question is: Since we had no hot water one night (because of the work) and we had dirty floor on the entrance floor (because they want to clean when they finish work, so they asked us to put a sheet over the floor to walk on) and no use of downstairs toilet and messy patio for 5-6 days,

Do we still have to pay the full rent?? (which is 700 pounds per month) What are the rules when landlord do repairs when you are still living in the house?

Welcome to the world of living in a house, they occasionally need repairs and I’m sure there are plenty of tenants out there that would love a landlord that repaired their house when needed.

My Landlord always does repairs when I'm not in, and seeing as during the week I'm almost never in except at night, that kind of works for me :D

Sounds like you have more than one toilet. No BIG temp problem.

No hot water for ONE night? No big problem.

Stressed out? Just be grateful your landlord doesn't ignore the condition of your house.

Hello All,

This is not your landlords fault, but it is the fault of the shoddy workmen he has employed to carry out the work.

They shouldn't leave a mess full stop, and I can't see why you had no hot water overnight. Surely once they had disconnected the pipes then needed to remov the sink, toilet etc, they could ave capped em temporarily so you could ave your hot water back on.

Landlords don't like speeding money and so pay peanuts and get monkeys.

Sorry to hear you had to put up with this mess and inconvenience.