3rd party smacking kids

Do you think it's right for a parent to give permission for other's to smack their children? Whether that be the child's grandparents or a friend of theirs...

I know where this thread is likely to head. This thread is not about whether smacking children is right or wrong, so start off with the viewpoint that smacking is allowed in society... Taking that into consideration, should it only be the parents that hand out smacks or is it fine for them to pass on their permission to others?

I think it's fine if you are leaving them to look after your child

:loopy:

I am very against smacking in ALL forms, violence breeds violence IMO, I was smacked as a child but would never do it to any kids of my own (not that I'll probably ever get any).

No, it's not alright imo and I would never give somebody permission to smack any of my children. By all means they can chastise them, tell them off if they are naughty etc but I don't smack my children myself (or at least my son who is two and becoming very defiant at the mo). I also hate it when other mums think it's acceptable to tell my child to stop it when I'm right there! :rant:

Well I'm sorry but I thought we were being asked what we thought and I have given other people the right to smack my 3 children at times they were looking after them and my kids are fine never been in trouble with the police for anything,dont beat there partners. I also would not call a slap on the legs violence. As for other people having to tell your child off may be you should tell them off first then other people would not feel they have to step in and control the child

:loopy:

I am very against smacking in ALL forms, violence breeds violence IMO, I was smacked as a child but would never do it to any kids of my own (not that I'll probably ever get any).

Surely your comment goes against your argument? You were smacked but would not smack your own children. Yet you say violence breeds violence.

:confused::confused:

Do you think it's right for a parent to give permission for other's to smack their children? Whether that be the child's grandparents or a friend of theirs...

I know where this thread is likely to head. This thread is not about whether smacking children is right or wrong, so start off with the viewpoint that smacking is allowed in society... Taking that into consideration, should it only be the parents that hand out smacks or is it fine for them to pass on their permission to others?

Its fine.

If the parent uses smacking as a form of punishment then its only good sense to allow who ever is looking after the child to be able to dish out the same punishment.

Otherwise the kids would cotton on and take babysitter for a soft touch.

Surely your comment goes against your argument? You were smacked but would not smack your own children. Yet you say violence breeds violence.

:confused::confused:

It was 30 odd years ago, things were different back then, we didn't have the "Nanny State" that we do now for instance.

I think that giving permission for someone to smack your child is a huge statement of trust. How do you know that the person to whom you have given permission would reserve the smacks for the same sort of situation as you would?

I think that if it's going to be done (I'm personally against it, but assuming this is not my child) then you really do have to be able to trust that the person to whom you have given permission has a really calm temper and doesn't feel that it is appropriate to go back to a Victorian ethos of children being seen and not heard as soon as your back is turned.

When I was a step mum, even when I was in the presence of the children's father I didn't see it as my place to smack them although their parents did smack them occasionally. The upside of this is that I learned a whole load of ways to discipline the children that didn't involve any physical chastisement of any sort :)