Books you read as a child and those which were filmed

cressida

I used to read Enid Blyton's Adventure series, Castle of Adventure, Mountain of Adventure etc.

Loved Sunny Stories, The Faraway Tree then moved on to the Five go ... Secret Seven, The Secret Garden, afterwards I discovered an old copy of Pride and Prejudice which is still one of my favourite books.

I found a set of old red bound books and one of them was a medical dictionary, I had to put this one aside as I seemed to be trying to identify with all sorts of ailments.

I'd be interested to know what people used to read:D

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, bought for me by my auntie when I was about 12 (1963) and I've still got it

I think I've still got mine too! I loved the Mary Poppins books, and some Enid Blyton, especially the Magic Faraway Tree ones. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm was another favourite.

I think the Mary Poppins film was probably one of the best of its era. Apart from Dick van Dyke's appalling accent. :roll:

I think I've still got mine too! I loved the Mary Poppins books, and some Enid Blyton, especially the Magic Faraway Tree ones. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm was another favourite.

I think the Mary Poppins film was probably one of the best of its era. Apart from Dick van Dyke's appalling accent. :roll:

I love Dick Van Dyke, he has got to be one of the most versatile entertainers of all time along with Danny Kaye who gave the most amazing performance when he played Loring 'Red' Nicholls in the Five Pennies which was based on true story of the big band era and featured great music including appearance by old satchel mouth himself, Louis Armstrong:love::love:

HG Wells' War of the Worlds, I have both the 1953 original movie and the 2005 Spielberg remake on DVD, neither of which have much connection to the original book apart from the Martians dying from exposure to Bacteria at the end.

HG Wells' War of the Worlds, I have both the 1953 original movie and the 2005 Spielberg remake on DVD, neither of which have much connection to the original book apart from the Martians dying from exposure to Bacteria at the end.

Oh, thanks for that. Was just about to start reading it but I don't need to bother now I know what happens...