Angling Trust bailiffs.

I've never thought about entering, the stipulation that Barry Hearn's put Angling Trust membership as obligatory to entrants as stopped a lot of anglers applying.

It's a £25 levy just to apply that's not refundable if you don't get a ticket.

yeah, I used to apply for probably 6 every year, fished no more than that in all the years I was trying, but as soon as this rip-off regulation was brought in, I gave up on it

pity really as I used to really enjoy the enormity of those qualifiers

I've never thought about entering, the stipulation that Barry Hearn's put Angling Trust membership as obligatory to entrants as stopped a lot of anglers applying.

It's a £25 levy just to apply that's not refundable if you don't get a ticket.

Yeah it's better that angling doesn't have a voice at a national/government level. Just let the rspb etc get ground the table when it comes to what happens to some of our waters. £25 will buy a session or twos worth of bait instead!

I was a member of the a.c.a ( forerunner to the angling trust ) for many years. It was a worthy cause and I didn't mind the fees going up each year. What I didn't like was the constant pressure to raise funds by selling draw tickets numerous times each year. Work colleagues,fishing pals and tackle shops got fed up of me badgering them to buy. The more counterfoils I sent,the a.c a would send even more tickets the next time.

The Angling Trust are very good at banging their own drum saying angling is at risk without them but what have they really done to reduce Cormorants. If they want my £25 I need to see action.

They are number one at reviews into the damage Cormorants cause to fisheries, it's evident that one after another review is not the answer. If they were to prove they have any clout with regard to Cormorants it may give a little credence to other claims they make.

If the Trust are really are the savior of angling we are in trouble. :help:

When faced with opposition from the RSPB they appear to slink into a corner and keep quiet.

The Angling Trust are very good at banging their own drum saying angling is at risk without them but what have they really done to reduce Cormorants. If they want my £25 I need to see action.

They are number one at reviews into the damage Cormorants cause to fisheries, it's evident that one after another review is not the answer. If they were to prove they have any clout with regard to Cormorants it may give a little credence to other claims they make.

If the Trust are really are the savior of angling we are in trouble. :help:

When faced with opposition from the RSPB they appear to slink into a corner and keep quiet.

And what do the rspb have? Money. Money brings influence. And lawyers and the ability to buy up land - they have 1300 staff plus an army of volunteers. They have over a million members. Do the maths!!!

And what do the rspb have? Money. Money brings influence. And lawyers and the ability to buy up land - they have 1300 staff plus an army of volunteers. They have over a million members. Do the maths!!!

So are you saying you're a Angling Trust member ?

And they don't pay a licence fee! Something wrong somewhere - we pay the government for our sport but are asked to pay again for protection against those who pay the government nothing!

The licence obviously isn't enough rodnreeluk.

There are those that fall for the spin that the trust put on issues that matter to anglers and those that don't.

Mark Lloyd the CEO of the Angling Trust is typically like a politician full of promises that come to nothing.

And they don't pay a licence fee! Something wrong somewhere - we pay the government for our sport but are asked to pay again for protection against those who pay the government nothing!

Who isn't paying a licence fee for what? A rod licence gives you permission to fish and, I think, a bit of restocking in rivers, plus enforcement. Doesn't give you anything else, certainly not the ear of the government.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 23:35 ----------

So are you saying you're a Angling Trust member ?

;) lapsed.

I might go fishing once or twice a year at the moment and the last couple of trips weren't a runaway success - I'm too rusty and I wasn't great when I wasn't rusty. Every time I see my gear I'm torn whether to sell it or not and let someone get a bit of use out of it.

Most hobbies have a voice, a professional body (or more) that looks out for their best interests as best they can. When you think about it, it's amazing it took as long as it did to get the angling trust started (although I'd have expanded the ACA but that's another argument;)). It might not be brilliant but it's the best about and I don't know why more anglers, certainly the ones with £2k poles and £500 worth of waterproofs don't want to fork out £25 aw year for a bit of representation.

Interesting that someone who's not a member of the Angling Trust is advocating other people should be. The Angling Trust is nothing more than a club which anglers who want to fish certain matches are forced to join to be eligible.

Doesn't it matter that the club everyone is to think of as our professional body is so toothless when it counts against issues that cause anglers concern.

If they prove they have any clout their membership may grow, until then it will stay as it is. Toothless, but the few at the top of this club will make a good living for effectively doing sod all.

I'm a member. £25 a year is not a lot, less than the license fee; it includes Fish Legal and gives you annual civil liability insurance. The more people join, the more voice anglers (coarse, game and sea) have at a national level.